View Full Version : Paintable Wall Plate Source?

Matt Meiser
11-03-2017, 11:01 PM
When we moved into our current house there was a bunch of poorly wired telephone jacks and cable outlets scattered though the house. My contractor friend purchased a bunch of wall plates that were paintable and painted them to match the walls and they are almost invisible. I just re-purposed the 220 circuit for the dryer for another use and removed the old dryer outlet which unfortunately is about 4' up the wall and very visible over the dryer. in our first-floor laundry room. I'd like to get a paintable, blank, 2-gang cover plate for that location as well. I found a company named Mulberry makes them but the only source I've found will run in the $12 range delivered. They aren't even orderable from Lowes. Surely there's something less expensive. Anyone know of something?

My wife says white to match the 110v outlet a few feet away is fine too but painted would be her first choice.

Frederick Skelly
11-04-2017, 6:15 AM
Hi Matt.
I didn't know there was such a thing, but I'll be watching the responses with interest.

Myself, I used regular plastic wall plates from a BORG. Put on a good primer and oil based paint that matches the wall. They've held up well.


Bob Leistner
11-04-2017, 7:43 AM
You're a woodworker, make them. People make personalized light switch plates all the time.

roger wiegand
11-04-2017, 8:33 AM
Been priming and painting them for decades without knowing you had to buy something special for the purpose. There are primers especially for plastic if you'd like to be more organized about it. Scuff the surface with fine sandpaper or a scotchbrite to give a little mechanical bond.

Jerome Stanek
11-04-2017, 9:48 AM
Or get a metal one

Phil Mueller
11-04-2017, 10:36 AM
Our painter just used the BORG metal or plastic ones. He did as suggested above; scuff a bit with sand paper and paint. He stippled the paint on. It gave it some texture and matches the rollered wall better. Iíve done that on other plates since, and they turn out great.

Matt Meiser
11-04-2017, 4:55 PM
I did find a metal one with the the outdoor stuff. Oddly they don't even carry any other 2-gang blanks. Except the screws are too short and I don't have any others so another trip to Lowes...

Stan Calow
11-04-2017, 7:52 PM
There are some plates that have a clear plastic cover over another inner layer, that are designed for inserting a piece of wallpaper under the clear cover, thus matching the wall plate to your wallpaper. You could paint the clear plastic cover on the inside which would provide a durable outer surface, with the color underneath.

Matt Meiser
11-04-2017, 8:16 PM
All set. My Lowes has an extensive selection of Mulberry brand plates for various devices in 1 and 2 gang and 1 gang blank plates. But no 2-gang blanks. But over in the outdoor boxes they had this one 2-gang blank plate which painted up fine. It does have text stamped on it but 2 coats of paint hid it. I painted the screws in place so they didn't get messed up while being installed. Of course they are painted in place now but this is a dead box.

Jim Becker
11-04-2017, 8:27 PM
The non-nylon covers at HD are paintable...I have several of them in our home that are painted to match the wall. These are also generally the least expensive covers at the 'borg!