PDA

View Full Version : Louvered shutters, what to do with?

Doug Jones
06-24-2003, 6:38 PM
I have access to almost 15 seven foot louvered shutters. I know I've seen projects where someone used these. But for the life of me I can't remember what they build or even where I saw them at. Can you help or even have a suggestion as to what I could use them for. Or even not waste my time with them? Thanks in advance. Doug

Jim Becker
06-24-2003, 6:41 PM
Doors for rustic cabinetry comes to mind. Do be careful of the paint on them as if they are old, there may be lead-based finishes on them. Follow safe procedures to insure you are protected when restoring them.

Doug Jones
06-24-2003, 7:06 PM
Do be careful of the paint on them as if they are old,
Thanks for the warning Jim, they are old.
The M & T joints are even plugged. I don't think thats done anymore. The louvers work with a wooden dowel that runs the length of each individual section. When shut, the dowels recess back into the stiles (or is it rails, I always get the two mixed). As for the paint not sure when it came into play. But I will be cafeful.

Dan Stuewe
06-24-2003, 7:19 PM
When our house was built, I think all but a couple of the windows had these type of shutters (we call them plantation shutters - don't know if that is correct). When we moved in, several were in the attic and this past year, we've taked down several more. The frames are toast, but the shutters are still fine. I've seen ads in the local classifieds, but I don't know if that will be worth my while (we gave up after several weeks trying to get rid of a couch and loveseat, sold at a garage sale for about what we paid for the classifieds!)

Anyway, a project might be nice, but I'm thinking more of getting rid of them in a useful way.