PDA

View Full Version : Increase a tablesaw dust collection connection size on a saw with internal hood/hose

Mike Heidrick
11-03-2017, 2:09 PM
Anyone increase a tablesaw dust collection connection size on a saw with an internal hose and shroud? I have an ICS sawstop and it has the internal shroud and outside 4" port. I am thinking of bolting on a 6" or 8" nordfab angle flange adapter with the existing port inside it and then cutting additional half moon or some holes around where the flange hole will be but not enough to ruin the flange.

Anyone have other great ideas?

jim mills
11-03-2017, 2:30 PM
That's exactly what I did. I went 6" for the flange and riser, then 8" trunk. If I had to do it over, I'd probably go 8" all the way to the saw. It doesn't remove all the dust, but keeps it at bay. I haven't cleaned the saw base out in a couple years. I cut a crescent moon shape below the existing hole right down to the bottom of the cabinet.

Peter Christensen
11-03-2017, 4:55 PM
I'll need to do the same when I hook it all up. Additionally the cabinet will need extra air coming into it. I plan on cracking open either or both the motor cover or the smaller door on the opposite side of the saw until there is enough airflow. The safety switches will need to be held closed or bypassed. Once satisfied I'll either leave them propped open or cut a hole/holes equal in area to the "cracked" openings in the doors or cabinet.

Larry Frank
11-03-2017, 8:34 PM
I find this interesting and wonder about it. I have a Sawstop PCS and pull 670 cfm at 10.02" when connected to the 4" port. It does a very good job.

What kind of flow do people think is needed to do a good job of dust collection?

Mike Heidrick
11-03-2017, 9:06 PM
Pcs have the flex inside too to the shroud?

Jay Aubuchon
11-03-2017, 11:06 PM
Pcs have the flex inside too to the shroud?

Yes, they do.

Dominik Dudkiewicz
11-04-2017, 3:49 AM
In my experience good overhead extraction is at least as important, probably more, as airflow through the cabinet. So if you don't have a good overhead guard focus your energy there first IMO.

Cheers, Dom

Robert Hayward
11-04-2017, 8:23 PM
In my experience good overhead extraction is at least as important, probably more, as airflow through the cabinet. Cheers, Dom

This my experience also.

Ben Rivel
11-06-2017, 9:36 PM
This my experience also.
Same here.