PDA

View Full Version : Mortice depth issue?

Stuart Welsh
11-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Hello,

I'm working on an upper cabinet that utilizes morticed butt hinges. The initial assembly resulted in doors that swing fine but will not stay closed. Though I did not see any contact between the door and frame I assume there is binding that causes them to spring open a couple inches. Am I correct in assuming that perhaps I have morticed them too deep? If so and I need to shim them what is the favorable material to shim with, paper? Thanks in advance for your help, this is obviously one of those issues that illustrates I still have lots to learn but then that's why I'm here!

Stuart

Roger Nair
11-03-2017, 12:30 PM
You can use a piece of paper to locate the bind by slipping a strip between door and frame and seeing where the paper is grabbed. For shims cut business cards or 3 x 5 cards to size. Binding can also occur between the door and stops.

Stuart Welsh
11-03-2017, 1:11 PM
Thanks Roger, I'll try the business cards. Guess I have an afternoon of trial and error!

glenn bradley
11-03-2017, 6:59 PM
I have recovered a fouled hinge mortise by actually cutting it deeper and then shimming it back with cut-to-size pieces of old gift cards. If your mortise is actually too deep, teh cards are generally about 1/32" thick with others being thinner. If you have a large collection like I do you can probably find just the right fit.