PDA

View Full Version : Planing Plastic

Matthew Hutchinson477
11-03-2017, 8:08 AM
Traditional hand tools in the automotive shop? Sure.

Long story short, I had a little bit of work to do wiring a truck cap and installing a new tailgate cap thingy on my pickup. All the automotive and power tools are at my dad's house because he has the real garage. Hand tools to the rescue.

The big problem to solve was fitting the new tailgate cap. I had to remove the OE part because it wouldn't allow the truck cap to close. Problem is, I had the truck bed Rhino-lined back when the old piece was in and the liner goes all the way up to the plastic. The new tailgate cap extends down further so it wouldn't fit without some alteration. Normally I would use a bandsaw or table saw but I don't have any power tools with me currently.
370907 370908370909370910
Turns out the plastic that automotive trim pieces are made of planes very nicely! Easier than a lot of woods, actually. If the trimming isn't extensive I'd venture to say the block plane is better suited for the job than any power tool.

As a bonus, here's my grandfather's Millers Falls No. 105 hand drill being used to drill a hole in some metal for a ground wire.

Andrew Pitonyak
11-03-2017, 10:39 AM
nice! Love it

Jim Koepke
11-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Been there, done that, great way to get the job done Matthew.

Good on you for sharing so the next person won't be wondering how to get 'er done.

jtk

Patrick Chase
11-03-2017, 2:11 PM
Yep, just be careful about fiber-reinforced plastics (ones with glass or carbon whiskers/fibers) as those won't be so friendly to your plane.

Planing is pretty much the only way to accurately trim abrasion-resistant plastics like HDPE.