PDA

View Full Version : 16” jointer question

Ryan Pappas
11-02-2017, 1:54 PM
I am in the market for a new jointer. I have an 8” powermatic with the helical head. I like the jointer but want a bigger one. I figure I might as well go to the 16”. I recently purchased a minimax SC4 elite and am really liking the European machines. I already have a jet 20” planer with a helical head. My question is should I get a combo machine or just a stand alone jointer like the minimax f41 or felder a941? And should I get the helical cutterhead for the jointer or stuck with straight blades?

Will Boulware
11-02-2017, 2:10 PM
If you're buying new and you're looking at high end well built machinery like SCM and Felder, you might as well get the combo. My guess is you won't be so happy with that 20" Jet after running boards across a monster jointer of that class.

I know you said new, but is an old iron one out of the question? I've got a 100 year old Crescent that I'd put up against anything made today. It took a bit of searching and a bit of rehab, but it's solid. Worth every hour I've got in it, but if you just want to buy one that's plug and play, there are plenty of machinery dealers out there who will sell you a fully restored one and ship it to your door.

Brad Shipton
11-02-2017, 2:40 PM
Do you have space for all separates? I have combo machines, but I would much rather have all separates. If the Jet planer suites your fancy, why swap it out?

Bill Adamsen
11-02-2017, 2:49 PM
Buying new gives lots of options.

My most important considerations for a jointer for my needs would be length of table (especially infeed) and head/knife style. The quick change Tersa knives are a nice feature. I was shocked to see looking at the Felder that even on the smaller and less feature rich machines, long table lengths are offered even on the JP. For instance Felder offers up to 157" length on 410mm (16") machines which would be the longest table I'd ever seen. While Minimax at 86" is still a good length. One would want a well counterbalanced table on a machine that big! Some of the other features are dust collection hoods and the need to switch dust collection (Minimax doesn't require that) and electric height adjust on the planer with DRO readout and repeatability to 1/1000th". Roller setup and table rollers or extensions on the planer. Any special requirements like rabbetting ... my Powermatic did that but my Euro Combo does not. Noise considerations also might require you use a spiral head of some sort. Going from your current spiral to a straight knife, the sound level with dust extraction hooked up might shock you.

Older dedicated American jointers such as the Porter 300 or Oliver Patternmakers (and many others) can be beautiful machines, and for some folks they will work perfectly, especially if they have more modern heads or come with sharpeners. If your shop and workflow favor separate machines, then older used machines might be the perfect solution.

Chris Hachet
11-02-2017, 2:51 PM
If you're buying new and you're looking at high end well built machinery like SCM and Felder, you might as well get the combo. My guess is you won't be so happy with that 20" Jet after running boards across a monster jointer of that class.

I know you said new, but is an old iron one out of the question? I've got a 100 year old Crescent that I'd put up against anything made today. It took a bit of searching and a bit of rehab, but it's solid. Worth every hour I've got in it, but if you just want to buy one that's plug and play, there are plenty of machinery dealers out there who will sell you a fully restored one and ship it to your door.Quoted for absolute truth...YES!

Ryan Pappas
11-02-2017, 2:51 PM
I like my jet planer and have needed the 20” capacity several times. I don’t think I will get rid of that machine. I didn’t know if having the combo could give me a helical and straight knife planer as well as a bigger jointer. I have the space no problem I think. I just can’t decide if the extra money on combo is worth it to me.

Chris Hachet
11-02-2017, 2:52 PM
I like my jet planer and have needed the 20” capacity several times. I don’t think I will get rid of that machine. I didn’t know if having the combo could give me a helical and straight knife planer as well as a bigger jointer. I have the space no problem I think. I just can’t decide if the extra money on combo is worth it to me.I am a huge fan of separate machines and multiples.

David Kumm
11-02-2017, 3:26 PM
Depending on shop layout, aseaparate planer doesn't take up much room. If I didn't love my old Porter, I'd have a Tersa jointer for sure. Jointer heads get the most abuse from dirty gnarly stock so a spiral is less desireable in my world. Long, thick, heavily webbed tables are a joy to work with and there is no downside to never having to worry about adjustment once dialed in. Good condition SCMI, SAC, Sicar, etc can be found for 4000-6000 in Tersa, and about the same price for planers. I'd want more than 16" for a planer and while insert is nice, I still run a Tersa on my SAC 530. Dave

J.R. Rutter
11-06-2017, 9:46 PM
I like my jet planer and have needed the 20” capacity several times. I don’t think I will get rid of that machine. I didn’t know if having the combo could give me a helical and straight knife planer as well as a bigger jointer. I have the space no problem I think. I just can’t decide if the extra money on combo is worth it to me.

OP, are you thinking about a combo in addition to your existing planer? One thing to consider is the table length on combo J/P vs a standalone 16" jointer. With standalone, you will get longer tables, so it is easier to dial in longer boards. And personally, it bothers me to simply change thickness setting on the planer when I have one or two parts to run. Thinking about converting a combo machine back and forth just adds insult to injury for me. If I were you, I would just get a nice big single purpose machine in whatever flavor appeals to you.

Martin Wasner
11-06-2017, 10:39 PM
There's a Martin T54 on Woodweb for sale right now if you want to go whole hog.

As for a combo machine, unless your space dictates you needing one, I wouldn't.

David Kumm
11-06-2017, 11:26 PM
For 9K less, the Sicar 20" tersa is a pretty sweet deal. Dave

Ryan Pappas
11-07-2017, 3:31 AM
Man, that Martin is a nice machine. That would be the ulimate machine.

Bill Adamsen
11-07-2017, 7:41 AM
Both of those have nice long infeed tables and Tersa heads - pretty ideal machines from my perspective. Love the planing on the Martin. Unfortunately, neither are anywhere near Alabama. I've got to believe there is a nice Porter 300CM or Oliver 12 Pattern-maker sitting within 50 miles of you and under $2000. You'll just need to find it.

David Kumm
11-07-2017, 8:05 AM
The Oliver 166 is probably the better choice for someone not into OWWM. The 12 has draft capabilities and a very complicated bed structure to accomplish that. There is a lot to screw up with a 12 vs a 166 that is a pretty simple design. The only benefit to the newer jointers is the Tersa head. In most others ways, the old cast iron body jointers are superior. Dave

Martin Wasner
11-07-2017, 8:46 AM
Unless you're a pattern maker, or know what you're doing, tou do not want a Pattern Maker's jointer. Or so says Jeff at Northfield.

Patrick Kane
11-07-2017, 9:05 AM
Ive watched the 20" sicar for awhile and wondered why it never sold. I dont know the brand and the homemade euro guard is strange on an expensive machine, but still. I would love a 16"-20" machine, but i dont have the room or power in my basement shop. Plus, i really dont want to move the 12 out and immediately move a bigger machine in. I do look forward to the day when i have the space and power to upgrade.

Ryan, i would go used all day. So many great machines in good condition that pop up regularly. Woodweb has quite a few solid choices at the moment for under $5000. There was another martin t54 from texas a couple months ago for 11k, and it was 6-8 years younger than the current one listed.

Ben Zara
11-07-2017, 9:55 AM
For stand alone, felder has a "budget" line 16 inch joint, the hammer a341A. I have it and it hums really nice, zero vibration. Cost about 5k with a spiral head. Very quiet.

David Kumm
11-07-2017, 9:55 AM
Sicar was a French company but the machines were Italian. I don't think they are still making any and the name has been bought by a Chinese company so the new Sicar are not like the old. If the tables and fence are flat, there isn't much to go wrong on a used jointer. 20" tends to be pretty rare compared to 16". Dave

Bill Adamsen
11-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Just noticed the Martin price includes shipping to Continental US (location with loading dock) ... in case that makes a difference.

peter gagliardi
11-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Isn't the Matt that is selling the Martin jointer the same Matt that has been hunting several different Martin machines for a few years?
He is/was looking for a jointer, shaper, and maybe even a planer at one point. Wonder what is wrong with it.
Separate machines are the only way to go if you have space.

David Kumm
11-07-2017, 1:33 PM
Peter, I think he flips some machines too. I've run into him a few times and have some stories. Dave

Ryan Pappas
11-07-2017, 8:07 PM
I have looked at the hammer models and still am. I have lots of options.

Patrick Walsh
11-07-2017, 9:51 PM
I looked at that Sicar in persona couple months ago. My boss was in the market for a new machine. Ended up with a 16” Casedai.

The sicar was a beast. Tables measured 118”. The machine was not very pretty and a little on the very used side. The tables had a fair amount of corrosion. Nothing that would effect performance but enough so you can tell the machine was not loved at all or used hard or both.

The gentleman my boss purchased the Casedai formreplaced it with the Martin fully loaded with bed extension and Souvamatic guard and all. I think he said he payed like 29K for it. Imop worth every last penny if I had so many..