PDA

View Full Version : Will a #35 transitional plane tote fit a #36?

Jaze Derr
11-02-2017, 3:15 AM
I bought a #36 transitional plane last year, not really knowing what it was, and then forgot about it. I found it again last weekend, and since I seem to have caught a mild case of plane rehab fever, I'd like to get it up and working again. It's in pretty good shape, other than the tote, which is in literal pieces, flopping around the bolt. I know I could make a tote, in theory, but I just don't feel like going that far. I haven't been able to find a #36 tote for sale, but have seen several #35 totes. Are the two interchangeable?

If no one knows for sure, could I get some measurements of a #35 tote? I know one of you fine people has to have one laying around...

steven c newman
11-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Have no idea why not....neither have a toe bolt. As long as the bolt fits, try it out....

I have both a 035 ( ohio tool co. version) and a #31 Stanley.....Basically the same tote.

Bill Houghton
11-02-2017, 2:25 PM
Don't see why not; but can't answer definitively, because all I have is a No. 36.

Jaze Derr
11-02-2017, 4:20 PM
Have no idea why not....neither have a toe bolt. As long as the bolt fits, try it out....

I have both a 035 ( ohio tool co. version) and a #31 Stanley.....Basically the same tote.

I'm not going to buy a tote off the internet unless know it fits, otherwise I'd have two useless totes, and I'm not made of money.

steven c newman
11-02-2017, 4:44 PM
Unless your #36 is some weird make ( like a Sargent made plane) the 35 will fit a 36...as they are the same totes. Heck, even a tote of a #5 Jack plane will fit....

Jaze Derr
11-13-2017, 2:18 AM
For anyone else who needs the information at a later date: yes, the tote from a #35 fits a #36 perfectly.

Bill Houghton
11-13-2017, 11:49 AM
For anyone else who needs the information at a later date: yes, the tote from a #35 fits a #36 perfectly.
Thanks for the follow up; this should occur more often than it does. Right now, probably no one around the table needs to know, but at some point, someone in the world will need to know, and Google will turn up this thread; and there, at the end, will be your message; and that someone will thank you.

Frederick Skelly
11-13-2017, 9:10 PM
Thanks for the follow up; this should occur more often than it does. Right now, probably no one around the table needs to know, but at some point, someone in the world will need to know, and Google will turn up this thread; and there, at the end, will be your message; and that someone will thank you.

+1 to what Bill said.

steven c newman
11-14-2017, 1:08 PM
You are welcome......

Pat Barry
11-14-2017, 2:05 PM
As steven had noted. Thanks steven!

Frederick Skelly
11-14-2017, 6:07 PM
As steven had noted. Thanks steven!

+1. Thanks Steve.