PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in November

brian zawatsky
11-01-2017, 10:08 PM
At the end of September my wife and I vacationed in Maine. Our route south from Acadia happened to take us (purely by coincidence, I swear) down Route 1 and through the sleepy little town of Warren where there happens to be a small toolmaker that some of you may have heard of. We stopped in for a visit and I ordered a 10 1/4 rabbet plane that I had been lusting after for some time. It finally arrived today, along with a white whale.
The Moby Dick to my Ahab.
After years of internet searching and auction house haunting, I finally managed to track one down. And for a price that I was comfortable paying.

It has a broken handle and needs to be scrubbed & possibly repainted, but overall in great shape. Sorry for the gloat, but I couldn’t help myself lol

Phil Mueller
11-02-2017, 8:20 AM
Nice find, Brian! Looks like you get bragging rights along with Pete. How long is that thing?

ken hatch
11-02-2017, 8:49 AM
Brian,

Congrats, I've been on the same quest for several years. So far with no joy but maybe there is hope.

ken

brian zawatsky
11-03-2017, 10:58 AM
Phil - It's 28" long

Ken - I was beginning to think I'd never come across one too. Don't despair!!

Daniel O'Connell
11-03-2017, 7:43 PM
Did you by chance buy it off of a dude on that old machine forum? I missed out on one by a fairly thin margin a few weeks ago ;)

brian zawatsky
11-03-2017, 9:14 PM
Did you by chance buy it off of a dude on that old machine forum? I missed out on one by a fairly thin margin a few weeks ago ;)

Actually, it came from flea bay of all places. I have had a search alert set up for an Acme handsaw filer for like 2 years now. I nearly fell out of my chair when one popped up on there like 2 weeks ago, and it didn’t go for an arm and a leg. I was prepared to dig in for a dogfight and it didn’t happen.

Daniel O'Connell
11-03-2017, 9:25 PM
Actually, it came from flea bay of all places. I have had a search alert set up for an Acme handsaw filer for like 2 years now. I nearly fell out of my chair when one popped up on there like 2 weeks ago, and it didn’t go for an arm and a leg. I was prepared to dig in for a dogfight and it didn’t happen.

Sweet, lucky find. I have a saved search for one as well, but I must have it mis configured as I didn't see it. Congrats!

Daniel O'Connell
11-04-2017, 12:27 AM
Brian,

Congrats, I've been on the same quest for several years. So far with no joy but maybe there is hope.

ken

Personally I'm going back to Fusion 360 and working on making my own luck...but then I'm a fairly crazy soul

brian zawatsky
11-04-2017, 8:07 AM
Personally I'm going back to Fusion 360 and working on making my own luck...but then I'm a fairly crazy soul

I can take some detailed pics of each casting for you when I disassemble it for cleaning & repainting.

Daniel O'Connell
11-04-2017, 7:13 PM
I can take some detailed pics of each casting for you when I disassemble it for cleaning & repainting.

I would deeply appreciate that. I've been designing based on much smaller wentworth and disston models and whole pictures of hte acme.

Noah Magnuson
11-05-2017, 7:25 PM
There's one on the bay right now if anyone is interested. A bit steep IMO for what it brings to the table, but cool nonetheless. $475 - item 222707529979. I would bet $400 would take it

Daniel O'Connell
11-06-2017, 11:51 AM
There's one on the bay right now if anyone is interested. A bit steep IMO for what it brings to the table, but cool nonetheless. $475 - item222707529979. I would bet $400 would take it

Very, Very tempting. SWMBO raised a rather steep eyebrow when I brought up the price however :(

Noah Magnuson
11-06-2017, 5:35 PM
Very, Very tempting. SWMBO raised a rather steep eyebrow when I brought up the price however :(

Thanks for that - TIL what SWMBO means. That is a new one for me.

Jim Koepke
11-06-2017, 7:32 PM
Thanks for that - TIL what SWMBO means. That is a new one for me.

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed.

jtk

Mark Stutz
11-07-2017, 1:08 PM
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed.

jtk

I've seen this generate some heated discussion on various forums! It should be, and for me, always is, used with utmost affection and respect. My wife knows about and kinda likes my use of the term!:D

Daniel O'Connell
11-07-2017, 1:11 PM
I've seen this generate some heated discussion on various forums! It should be, and for me, always is, used with utmost affection and respect. My wife knows about and kinda likes my use of the term!:D
Hah, I don't think I've ever mentioned to her, but I think she'd enjoy it.

Jim Koepke
11-07-2017, 1:33 PM
When my wife was told about it, she laughed kind of maniacally. Then she told her best friend about it.

jtk