PDA

View Full Version : Don Geiger sharpening

jeff oldham
10-31-2017, 12:22 PM
Can anyone tell me if they have the Don Geiger sharpening system and what their thoughts are on it..seems like a good price to get a good repeatable grind...I have the wolverine jig now...

J.D.Redwine
11-03-2017, 2:04 PM
I want to get one but he only takes orders by phone.

Dwight Rutherford
11-03-2017, 2:59 PM
Note: Must have 8” wheels. Will not work with 6” wheels.

Jason Edwards
11-03-2017, 5:12 PM
I think Don makes some pretty good items. He's a one man shop. Call him up and see if it's a fit for you.

Bob Ballard
11-04-2017, 1:21 PM
I have the evolution system and really like it,

Randy Heinemann
11-04-2017, 2:19 PM
The best advice I ever got about sharpening, in general, is to pick a system and stick with it. Sharpening, whether it's chisels or turning tools, is a skill that is developed over time with practice. It also depends on familiarity with the sharpening system and accessories you own. If the sharpening system and accessories are changed, a new set of skills must be developed. If the system you currently own works well, then I would advocate not changing it just because there is a system out there which suggests it is better than the others. It will only become better if, in fact, it is better than your current system, only when you get comfortable with it and have used it long enough to develop the skills it requires.

Richard Dooling
11-04-2017, 3:33 PM
The best advice I ever got about sharpening, in general, is to pick a system and stick with it. Sharpening, whether it's chisels or turning tools, is a skill that is developed over time with practice. It also depends on familiarity with the sharpening system and accessories you own. If the sharpening system and accessories are changed, a new set of skills must be developed. If the system you currently own works well, then I would advocate not changing it just because there is a system out there which suggests it is better than the others. It will only become better if, in fact, it is better than your current system, only when you get comfortable with it and have used it long enough to develop the skills it requires.

OP states that he has the Wolverine system. Does't the Geiger system just make setup easier? Am I missing something?

http://www.geigerssolutions.com/ (http://www.geigerssolutions.com/)

J.D.Redwine
11-21-2017, 6:36 PM
I got one and like what it does.

Thom Sturgill
11-22-2017, 10:25 AM
If you are using matrix wheels instead of CBN, his trueing system works great. I thought I was good at cleaning the wheel and gretting a flat surface until I bought one. Just be aware that you will start taking quite a bit off the wheel to keep it in condidtion. The cost of replacing wheels was the reason I bought my first CBN and sold the tool. :)