PDA

View Full Version : Lathe/Drill Press Question

Keel McDonald
11-03-2005, 8:56 AM
I have a Delta Shopmaster 17-900 Drill Press. Does anyone out there know if I can take the #2 Morse Tapered chuck from the drill press and insert it in my lathe. It also uses a #2 Morse Taper. I have looked at some lathe chucks on-line and can't seem to find any difference in the two.

Andy Hoyt
11-03-2005, 9:00 AM
Keel - An MT2 is a MT2. Likewise for MT1 and MT3. It'll fit.

Steven Wilson
11-03-2005, 10:40 AM
It works very well

Keel McDonald
11-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Andy & Steven

Thanks for replying. I'm anxious to try some new turnings using the chuck. Glad to know it works.

Jim Becker
11-03-2005, 5:38 PM
Keel, just remember that the type of chuck used on a DP has somewhat limited applications on the lathe...it's not what one normally wants a lathe chuck for, such as holding blanks for bowls and the like. But it's exactly what you need for holding certain small things as well as for use in the tailstock when boring into a blank for a number of different reasons.

Keel McDonald
11-04-2005, 7:17 AM
Keel, just remember that the type of chuck used on a DP has somewhat limited applications on the lathe...it's not what one normally wants a lathe chuck for, such as holding blanks for bowls and the like. But it's exactly what you need for holding certain small things as well as for use in the tailstock when boring into a blank for a number of different reasons.

Jim,

Turning small things is exactly what I have in mind. I am interested in turning some tops for some kids for Christmas. I will probably begin with a 2"x2"x4" block, turn it round with a tenon (handle), then remove the drive center and replace it with the DP chuck. The tenon will be held in the chuck so I can finish the turning of the base. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Jim Becker
11-04-2005, 9:37 AM
Yes, this kind of vice will work fine for your application. It's not as flexible as a regular lathe chuck with spiggot jaws, but as long as you can work within the capacity of the jaws...it's just peachy!

Keel McDonald
11-04-2005, 2:49 PM
Thanks Jim, I hope to give it a try this weekend.

Keith Burns
11-04-2005, 4:01 PM
If using it, #2mt, in the headstock as a chuck you will need a drawbolt to hold it in place.

Keel McDonald
11-07-2005, 10:32 AM
If using it, #2mt, in the headstock as a chuck you will need a drawbolt to hold it in place.

Keith,

I'm not familiar with a "drawbolt." Can you explain what it is or send a pic?

Jim Becker
11-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Keel, a "draw bolt" is usually a piece of threaded rod that passed through your headstock and is used to secure the MT-attached chuck to the machine for safety. Typically, a wing-nut is on the outboard side and the threaded rod screws into a threaded hole in the small end of the MT. I'm glad Keith brought this up as it really is a safety issue. The stresses from turning/drilling can easily un-seat the taper under certain circumstances. The draw bolt keeps this from happening. (This is also something necsesary when using the Beall buffing system with a MT adapter)

Keel McDonald
11-11-2005, 3:01 PM
Keel, a "draw bolt" is usually a piece of threaded rod that passed through your headstock and is used to secure the MT-attached chuck to the machine for safety. Typically, a wing-nut is on the outboard side and the threaded rod screws into a threaded hole in the small end of the MT. I'm glad Keith brought this up as it really is a safety issue. The stresses from turning/drilling can easily un-seat the taper under certain circumstances. The draw bolt keeps this from happening. (This is also something necsesary when using the Beall buffing system with a MT adapter)

Thanks Jim. Turning is relatively new to me. Although I have turned many projects, I haven't yet ventured out to try all the variety of chucks, tools, and various other things that are associated with a lathe. Is this a piece that should already be on the lathe, or do I have to purchase it separately?

Jim Becker
11-11-2005, 3:28 PM
No...you need to go to the 'borg or your hardware store of choice and buy some threaded rod, a washer and a wingnut that is sized/threaded appropriately for your MT.