PDA

View Full Version : Veritas chisels

Dennis Droege
10-30-2017, 7:56 PM
I did it; I bought a set of Veritas PM-V11 chisels. They were out of stock when I ordered and just got here a few minutes ago. More will be revealed as I use them, but one thing is for sure: the sides of the chisels are sharp enough to cut a hand and will have to be softened before any paring takes place. More as I know it.

Patrick Chase
10-30-2017, 8:36 PM
I did it; I bought a set of Veritas PM-V11 chisels. They were out of stock when I ordered and just got here a few minutes ago. More will be revealed as I use them, but one thing is for sure: the sides of the chisels are sharp enough to cut a hand and will have to be softened before any paring takes place. More as I know it.

I use emery paper to break the edges starting about 1" behind the tip.

There are plenty of ways to do it, but that's what I'm used to from my ski-racing days, and I like the feedback I get through the fabric backing. I can feel when the edge starts to round over and respond differently to the abrasive, and that helps to avoid over-dulling. Also it creates more of a rounded edge instead of just a 3rd, bevelled facet.

ken hatch
10-31-2017, 2:36 AM

Yep, that they are :p. Once the index finger heals enough times you get a pretty good callous.

ken

Derek Cohen
10-31-2017, 6:26 AM
Keep the first inch sharp, and soften the remainder on a diamond stone. Here I used a worn 600 grit (approx 2000 now?) ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasChiselReview_html_m2689c0e3.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dennis Droege
10-31-2017, 5:12 PM
Thanks, guys. I spent a portion of the day cutting mortises (no construction in mind) in white oak and ash, and I'm about to come to the conclusion that what LV says about this steel is true. I treated myself to a hone-up on the strop now and then, but could have gone without it. More as follows.

Jeff Ranck
10-31-2017, 5:34 PM
Seems to me that I remember a post somewhere where Megan Fitzpatrick muttered something about chisels with too sharp edges to Frank Klausz and he said something to the effect of "don't put your hand there". I wish I could find that post, I sure got a chuckle out of it.

So no softening of the edges for me!

Mike Brady
10-31-2017, 6:12 PM
I understand Frank Klausz' humor and what he is saying, but not touching the blade of a chisel is just unrealistic during typical use. Kind of like saying "always wear gloves". The corners do look sharp in that photograph.