PDA

View Full Version : Asset Tag Design Issues

Trey Tull
10-30-2017, 3:39 PM
I have a potential client that is looking for some asset tags. He wants his logo on them, a mico 2d code (which will display the serial number) and then the serial number next to that. He wants to be able to scan them with his phone to verify the number he sees is what they QR code says. I'm alittle concerned that the camera on a phone can't get focus on something that small to make it user friendly. I've been looking at the DuraBlack labels (1"x1.5") b/c they have adhesive backing and they are somewhat corrosion resistant.

I called Johnson's Plastics and they sent me the template for Corel but I'm stuck at generating sequential micro 2d codes and also generate sequential serial numbers?

If this is something that you do for your clients, how to you/they normally design asset tags?

p.s. client is needing 1000+ tags, so doing them manually one at a time won't work.

Thank you!
Trey

Tim Bateson
10-30-2017, 5:19 PM
Stainless Steel & Cermark should work. As for the numbers there are several tuturials on print merging from an excell spreadsheet. Corel can do the convertion.

John Lifer
10-30-2017, 6:54 PM
I can make these easy with my fiber that are readable with phones, don't know why your CO 2 wouldn't be able to do the same. Should be pretty quick with it on anodized VS one at a time with the fiber, but I'd do it:). I think Doug Green did YouTube video on excel merge.

Kev Williams
10-30-2017, 7:27 PM
I'm sure it depends on the phone the guy's got, but my BIL's I7 will take pics of .030" lettering the fiber does, and will enlarge each letter to full screen size, in perfect focus. Just amazes me.

-almost as much as the fiber being able to engrave perfect .030" lettering! ;)

Mike Null
10-31-2017, 6:13 AM
Have a look at this. Jeff has been around a long time and his macros are reliable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFGgBQenwCg