PDA

View Full Version : Is leatherette corrosive to our machines?

Jacob John
10-30-2017, 2:32 PM
I read this somewhere but for the life of me can't find anything to counter or verify. I also can't find an SDS on leatherette. I have a large request for leatherette engravings. Any special prep-work?

Dave Sheldrake
10-30-2017, 2:52 PM
Some is PU coated (fine) some is PVC (You get dead)

Jacob John
10-30-2017, 2:59 PM
I vent outside but it's still a concern. It's leatherette from JDS if that matters. I'm on hold with them right now.

Edit: Just spoke to them, no SDS. Hmmm he said it wasn't pvc.

Mike Null
10-31-2017, 11:33 AM
More of these are vinyl than not but I believe the JDS items are safe.

John Lifer
10-31-2017, 11:35 AM
they market it FOR laser engraving. Will assume they've done testing and their customers have run enough it were a problem it would have been pulled. Been around over two years at least. (that I've seen it advertised by them) I've run some, but darn it smells. and BTW, my fiber does a nicer job than my chinese co2 on it. especially small details.

Scott Shepherd
10-31-2017, 11:49 AM
I think he's asking because someone posted a few photos of some screws inside and out of their machine rusting and they were told that it was being caused by engraving the Leatherette material.

Jacob John
11-03-2017, 12:23 AM
I think he's asking because someone posted a few photos of some screws inside and out of their machine rusting and they were told that it was being caused by engraving the Leatherette material.

That's what I was referring to, but I can't find anything to support it. I just wanted to make sure. This side conversation is a good one though.