PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Tool Sharpening

Randy Gleckler
02-18-2003, 6:53 PM
Hi, I ran across the TruGrind System by Woodcut sharpening jig today on the WoodTurners Catalog web page and was wondering what your thoughts were on it. I've tried sharpening my tools by hand and have realized I really need something to assist me before I ruin them. I had looked (and read) about the benefits of the Wolverine system and am considering getting that one, but was curious if anyone had an opinion on this one (less accessories to buy). Thanks for your help

No affiliation, just a curious shopper.
:confused:

Thanks

Randy

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-18-2003, 8:40 PM
I've not used the TruGrind system, but the Wolverine has proven to be a lifesaver (who says the creek's not deep in spots) for us folks who have a hard time with free hand sharpening. Any type of jig will prove useful if you don't have the experience needed for freehanding. Good luck on your choice.

Barbara Gill
02-18-2003, 8:56 PM
This is good reading.
http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/glaser1.shtml

Robert Simmons
02-19-2003, 9:00 AM
I did my sharpening by free-hand for a long time, then I bought a Wolverine jig and a Varigrind. It has proved to be a great investment. I haven't used the TruGrind, but I think that most of these types of tools are similar. For my time and money it's been worth it.

Robert