PDA

View Full Version : Middle Earth Forest

Ian Abraham
11-03-2005, 6:51 AM
If anyone has seen the Lord of the Rings movies, well it wasn't shot here, but this was on the short list.

First pic is the Goblin Forest on the slopes of Mt Egmont in NZ.

Ian Abraham
11-03-2005, 6:55 AM
These pics are Dawson Falls and a view down the valley towards home.
The 3rd pic is there stream above the falls.

We often forget where the trees grow....

John Hart
11-03-2005, 7:05 AM
Now I could live in a place like that happily for the rest of my life! Just gorgeous!! Thanks Ian!:)

Keith Starosta
11-03-2005, 7:07 AM
WOW!!! :eek:

Ian, that is some beautiful scenery. I'd love to make it to New Zealand one day....

Keith

Ian Abraham
11-03-2005, 7:17 AM
One more Pic
This the the Mt from my house.
Waterfall pics were taken on the slopes in the left side of this pic.
Now the only problem is the volcano is classed as 'dormant'.. not 'extinct' :o

Ian

Rob Russell
11-03-2005, 7:24 AM
Ian,

Last year my wife and I had the opportunity to make it "down under" and spent 3 1/2 weeks in Oz. We had really wanted to make to NZ, but just didn't have time. We've said that a trip back to visit your corner of the world is on our "someday" wish list.

Rob

Ken Fitzgerald
11-03-2005, 7:29 AM
Ian....beautiful scenery! North Island or South Island? I have a friend who is the lead engineer in New Zealand for our employer and lives on the South Island. They had an opening there a couple of years ago. He contacted me about taking the position. After investigating it, I turned the offer down because of the taxes you folks pay. Wow! My initial thought was I'd get our company to write me a contract to stay for 5 years and I'd rent out my home here and after the 5 years I'd return to my current job and residence. The tax situation scared me out of taking the job. Now, I plan on visiting Kenny in the next couple of years. I have a graphite fly rod I'd like to wear out in New Zealand waters! Beautiful scenery and friendly people!

Ian Abraham
11-03-2005, 7:40 AM
Ken

I'm Nth Island, West Coast. Head down to the Sth Island if you want the really good scenery :cool:

Yeah..I think we pay too much tax too.. but living isn't horibly expensive either. The scenery, surfing , fishing and being given 4ft dbh trees to mill make up for it :D

Ian

Andrew Ault
11-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Ian,

That's beautiful. What a beautiful country. I'd love to visit one day.

In 1969, my father was offered a job as a helicopter pilot in New Zealand. We were to the point of packing to go when my mother got cold feet. So...we were nearly neighbors. Instead, my dad flew rescue in Orange County (Southern California) and played cards with John Wayne in the hanger. In those days, safety meant your dad yelling at you to hold on.

- Andy