PDA

View Full Version : Tool for light fixtures that don't have the 3 screw arrangement?

Stephen Tashiro
10-30-2017, 12:21 AM
Several light fixtures I've purchased recently don't use the 3 screw system of holding the glass shade onto the fixture. Instead, the bulb socket is threaded and you must put the shade over the socket and reach inside the shade to screw a ring on the socket. This is difficult for a person with moderately large hands. Has a tool been invented to make this easier? - something like a length of PVC pipe with shallow notches around the end?

Jim Becker
10-30-2017, 9:59 AM
As I just (finally) installed the fixture I bought long ago for over the seating area in our great room, I know exactly what you speak of...and the screw-on retainer rings really are frustrating and difficult to get "just right" even if one has "perfect" hands. I don't know of any solution, however...'haven't seen anything that I can remember. Fortunately, this is generally a one-time install. Perhaps the best way to handle it if one's hands are too large or don't fully function is to engage a helper with smaller hands. :)

Frank Pratt
10-30-2017, 4:47 PM
My wife bought a couple of table lamps that have that system. But they each came with a special wrench for screwing on the ring.

Stephen Tashiro
10-30-2017, 7:19 PM
A "socket collar tool" ? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Progress-Lighting-Lighting-Accessory-Socket-Collar-Tool-Black-P8685-01/205805055?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-VF-PLA-D27E-Electrical|&gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9vPBRCQARIsABAIQYcKwjoNtwyne96mIIKy AknAgiHVQrC3HI5MTlQ8IeRyEU30Xb0jI68aAlZuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKbD2Ii9mdcCFca_ZAod9HYHuQ

Frank Evans
10-30-2017, 7:37 PM
The easy way is to find a piece of PVC (Sch 40) that is just a hair too small... I have used pipe as well as different couplings, if it' close, heat it up and press fit onto the ring (all of mine were ceramic rings). Otherwise turn the i.d. on the lathe until it's closes enough to allow heating and forming... I cut mine long enough that I don't have to stick my hand into the shade... so just a little dab of silicon grease on the threads makes a world of difference... I have 24 of those type in the great room... Necessity IS he mother of invention.

Jim Becker
10-30-2017, 8:11 PM
A "socket collar tool" ? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Progress-Lighting-Lighting-Accessory-Socket-Collar-Tool-Black-P8685-01/205805055?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-VF-PLA-D27E-Electrical|&gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9vPBRCQARIsABAIQYcKwjoNtwyne96mIIKy AknAgiHVQrC3HI5MTlQ8IeRyEU30Xb0jI68aAlZuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKbD2Ii9mdcCFca_ZAod9HYHuQ

Nice find!

Rick Potter
10-30-2017, 8:23 PM
Yes, that 'socker collar tool' looks handy.

My probem lights are even worse. I have a dozen HD ceiling fixtures that need to be dismanteled to change a bulb. You have to remove the cap at the bottom of the globe, while carefully supporting the rest of the fixture, which is held up by that globe cap, including the heavy ornate bronze (HA) trim.

I have it on my list. I think I will drill a couple holes through the fixtures into the drywall, and hold it with some of those very coarse drywall screws. Not one of their better ideas.