PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 14Bx cooked

Todd Richardello
10-29-2017, 11:21 AM
Just looking for a little guidance from the band saw community. I was cutting some Green Mountain ash blanks into rounds with my circle cutting jig on my Laguna 14Bx and after 2 rounds complete, the tires cooked to the wheels. I am new to the turning world and new to the use of bandsaws for this exercise and was looking for some direction going forward. I have cut green blanks in the past without issue, the Mountain Ash is a new wood for me but................thanks for any advice folks. I have a lot of green wood left and will not be doing this again.

Thanks,

ToddR

Chris Hachet
10-30-2017, 9:08 AM
Just looking for a little guidance from the band saw community. I was cutting some Green Mountain ash blanks into rounds with my circle cutting jig on my Laguna 14Bx and after 2 rounds complete, the tires cooked to the wheels. I am new to the turning world and new to the use of bandsaws for this exercise and was looking for some direction going forward. I have cut green blanks in the past without issue, the Mountain Ash is a new wood for me but................thanks for any advice folks. I have a lot of green wood left and will not be doing this again.

Thanks,

ToddR

All I can say is you must have been overly aggressive and overheated the blade. My guess is that you were using too fine of a blade-I use a two tooth per inch one inch wide blade in a Powermatic 87 for work like this. I would buy replacement tires, make sure that you have a coarse blade and keep the blade clean-sap can make a blade act like it is dull even when it is sharp.

I clean my blade by running scraps of exotic wood through it. We build quite a few guitars using exotics in my shop and I find the high silica content of exotics tends to help clean blades when they get sappy. I just run scrap wood through the saw and it seems to clean the blade. YMMV.