PDA

View Full Version : Jim Ketron to Demo!

Andy Hoyt
11-02-2005, 11:59 PM
So Jim! How'd it go? Did'ja wear the kilt for good luck?

Jim Ketron
11-03-2005, 4:53 PM
It went pretty good for my first one:D Explained how to use Dave Smiths alcohol methods and answered a lot of questions on that subject. I think a lot of the members are planing on trying it out!
I only had one problem during my green bowl turning demo :o I didn't have any screws to hold the blank on my faceplate. The store I went to didn't have the ones I normally use, all they had that I could use was wood screws and they were not of good quality. I had two of the heads to strip out on me after I tried to remove them after shaping the tenon and outside of the bowl. one of them was sticking out enough to remove with a pair channel lock pliers the other one was still up tight on the faceplate so the pliers didn't work. I just pulled on the faceplate and broke the head off. I mounted the bowl on the chuck and used a parting tool to make relief cuts on each side of the broke off screw and use the channel lock pliers to break the wood from around the screw and twisted it out. then back to normal bowl turning!
After this happened I told them let this be an example. NEVER USE CHEAP SCREWS!:D

Andy Hoyt
11-03-2005, 7:47 PM
Shoulda worn that kilt, Jim!

How it go nerves wise?

Jim Ketron
11-03-2005, 8:43 PM
not too bad Andy! Kinda embarrassed when the screw broke off but it only took a few min to get that fixed;) I feal comfy in front of a croud so its not bad for me.

Sparky Paessler
11-04-2005, 7:53 AM
I attended and Jim did a really good job! Even handeled the broken screw well. (we have all done that). Look forward to see more Demo's in the future.