PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane toppled mahoganies

Malcolm Schweizer
10-28-2017, 7:22 AM
So many trees that I could use if only I had a portable mill and a place to dry them.

Frederick Skelly
10-28-2017, 8:06 AM
Wow. I hope SOMEBODY is buying those up to export them. Be a shame to just burn, bury or haul out to sea.

Glad you're holding up ok Malcolm!

Fred

James White
11-21-2017, 9:14 AM
If there is enough of them to warrant the effort. You could buy a mill and sell it after you are done. Would they be the same as Cuban mahogany? Do you own a chainsaw powerful enough for a chainsaw mill. You could even rip some hand held then flatten with a power planer.

James

Malcolm Schweizer
11-21-2017, 4:36 PM
They are the same as Cuban Mahogany. It's amazingly beautiful stuff. The problem isn't just sawing- it's hauling, drying, storing- all of the aspects of it. I just don't have time or money. It's sad- there are literally piles of the stuff.

By the way, there was a Banyan tree toppled over. They came and cut the trunk of it, and inside it looks like mahogany. Unfortunately I was too late getting back to it, as I would have loved to try some of that wood. I imagine, due to it's scarcity, ornamental use, and difficulty to cut, not many people have ever cut into one. The trunk is made of a bunch of tangled prop roots, and they grow prop roots out of the branches. I was surprised to see that the trunk of the one that fell was solid when cut. I bet it makes an amazing figure.

Site I located using Google that has some nice images of Banyan trees:
https://www.istockphoto.com/photos/banyan-tree?excludenudity=true&sort=mostpopular&mediatype=photography&phrase=banyan%20tree

James White
11-21-2017, 7:24 PM
Wow talk about exotic. Anyone looking for a working vacation armed with a chainsaw mill?