PDA

View Full Version : Storing Bandsaw Blades

Chris Parks
10-27-2017, 8:10 PM
My OCD has finally won over my desire to ignore my bandsaw blades hanging on a nail in the shed. Has anyone got any good ideas for storing these things preferably out of sight.

Mike Cutler
10-27-2017, 8:14 PM
Chris

Roll them back up and put them in a drawer, or in bigger padded envelopes.
Of course, I'm speaking of "shop sized blades". and not big commercial blades

John R Green
10-27-2017, 8:24 PM
Go to YouTube
Key in "Folding a bandsaw blade"
You'll be a pro in a few minutes

Chris Parks
10-27-2017, 8:32 PM
I should have explained, I know how to fold them, they are 18'' blades so I don't think they will go into a padded bag. The shallow drawer idea has been buzzing around for a while now but if someone has a better option I am all for it.

David Utterback
10-27-2017, 8:39 PM
If you are concerned about contact between the blades or corrosion, you might wrap them in craft paper which some woodworking suppliers use as packing.

Chris Parks
10-27-2017, 9:04 PM
David, no that is not the issue, I just need a neat way to store them, preferably out of sight. Any corrosion will last about two revolutions when the wood hits the blade during cutting.

glenn bradley
10-27-2017, 10:31 PM
Google 'wood magazine, bandsaw blade holder' to see a couple that I have been considering. I suppose these could be modified to fit a drawer but, there is usually some difficult to use corner or odd location where these might help.

In the spirit of disclosure I bought a pack or two of these magnetic wreath holders on clearance after Xmas . . .

Screwed a dowel to one to act as a support for my bandsaw gooseneck lamp.

Inspiration struck and I screwed a longer dowel to another one and stick it on the saw itself.

Chris Parks
10-27-2017, 11:12 PM
Thanks Glen, food for thought there, I did a search using other terms and basically got nothing.

Derek Cohen
10-27-2017, 11:25 PM
Hi Chris

I've been looking for a storage solution as well in my idle moments.

Pizza boxes? :) I'd avoid Tuppaware :eek:

Wooden versions may be on the agenda.

Regards from Perth

Derek

James Baker SD
10-27-2017, 11:31 PM
+1 on pizza boxes

Hi Chris

I've been looking for a storage solution as well in my idle moments.

Pizza boxes? :) I'd avoid Tuppaware :eek:

Wooden versions may be on the agenda.

Regards from Perth

Derek

John K Jordan
10-28-2017, 12:13 AM
I suppose they could hang on a nail out of sight in a cabinet.

I use an 18" saw and have several L-shaped brackets fastened to the ceiling over where I stand at the bandsaw. I hang 5-6 blades on each bracket.

I coil each blade so it has five loops so the blades don't hang down very far.

With 9' ceilings I have to stretch to reach one so they are not in the way of anything and they don't take up any precious wall space. Since they are up high they are easy for me to ignore.

JKJ

Chris Parks
10-28-2017, 1:17 AM
I am starting to think about boxes for each blade that slide into a rack. I don't know that the boxes would even need a lid though my OCD might rebel at no lid.:eek:

Doug Garson
10-28-2017, 2:44 AM
How about this?
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/aY7F3S8jX5Y/hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEXCPYBEIoBSFryq4qpAwkIARUAAIhCGAE=&rs=AOn4CLB_y4VAf-vfLx0Koz74f6TdYpVCnQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY7F3S8jX5Y

John K Jordan
10-28-2017, 7:23 AM
I am starting to think about boxes for each blade that slide into a rack. I don't know that the boxes would even need a lid though my OCD might rebel at no lid.:eek:

How about vertical or horizontal slots, open on the front? If you coil with five loops the slots would not need to be very tall for blades for an 18" saw.

Or see a professional and get the anxiety disorder treated! Might be cheaper in the long run. :D

JKJ

David Utterback
10-28-2017, 8:26 AM
On second thought, bucket tops might be suitable organizers/dividers up to a certain size.

Sam Murdoch
10-28-2017, 11:01 AM
A cabinet with vertical dividers - 1/4" panels set an inch or 2 apart with scoop on the leading edge. I don't think a folded blade will deform sitting on edge. If that is a concern space 1/2" thick panels further apart and set the blade(s) on hooks mounted to the panels. All will be behind a closed door, with maybe an open shelf or drawer under the blade shelf for accessories.

Matt Day
10-28-2017, 1:53 PM
I’d focus that OCD energy on something more productive. My vote: coil them up so they’re smaller and put them behind something, such a small your bandsaw. Making a drawer for each blade sounds like way to much work for something that hangs perfectly on a nail.

Ted Phillips
10-28-2017, 4:00 PM
I hang mine on a nail. In a rafter in the ceiling. In my shed...

Nick Decker
10-28-2017, 4:29 PM
How about this?
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/aY7F3S8jX5Y/hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEXCPYBEIoBSFryq4qpAwkIARUAAIhCGAE=&rs=AOn4CLB_y4VAf-vfLx0Koz74f6TdYpVCnQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY7F3S8jX5Y

So, this guy moved his blades from a handy nail on the wall to a drawer that he can't reach without a step stool. He solved a problem that didn't exist, with a solution that makes things worse. Brilliant!

Bruce Page
10-28-2017, 4:44 PM
So, this guy moved his blades from a handy nail on the wall to a drawer that he can't reach without a step stool. He solved a problem that didn't exist, with a solution that makes things worse. Brilliant!
I liked his folding hinge design.. :)
Mine hang on a hook, and I'm pretty OCD.

Nick Decker
10-28-2017, 8:00 PM
Oh, I'm at least borderline OCD myself. It manifests itself, especially, in saving steps. I'm an old guy, tending toward laziness. :)

Chris Parks
10-28-2017, 8:27 PM
I worked out that if I converted from being messy and became OCD I could find things and save myself a heap of time.

andy bessette
10-28-2017, 8:27 PM
My coiled bandsaw blades are sprung between the studs in the wall of my shop. No need for hangars or anything complicated.

Doug Garson
10-28-2017, 8:35 PM
So if he was taller would that change your opinion of his solution? :D

Jeff Ramsey
10-28-2017, 9:06 PM
Here's the caddy I made for the back of my Felder. I hang my folded blades there:

Greg Parrish
10-29-2017, 5:26 AM
I leave mine uncoiled and hanging on a wall. The spring energy and chance of injury when coiling a 10'+ long blade that is 3/4" wide makes me nervous. No fun getting hit by one that unexpectedly uncoils or slips from the hand.

Chris Parks
10-29-2017, 5:44 AM
Here's the caddy I made for the back of my Felder. I hang my folded blades there:

Now that is clever and I like clever.

Kevin McCluney
10-29-2017, 4:15 PM
I built a storage box for my saw blades when I had a 14" saw. I built a similar one for sand paper storage.