PDA

View Full Version : First chess Piece - Critiques Please

John Hart
11-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Howdy,
I've decided to go ahead and try a chess set. I've spent the last week trying to come up with a tasteful design and made some sketches. Finally, I decided to make a piece out of scrap so I could take a look and feel it, etc. There's just something about it that seems....well...just plain wrong. I would like to throw it up to the committee, whom I respect.

So tell me...What's wrong with this picture?

Steve Rowe
11-02-2005, 11:01 PM
I started making some chess pieces some time ago and also had some of the same feelings about my turnings - something just doesn't look right. I would offer up two possibilities but, it may just be a matter of personal preference.
1) The cross on top needs to have more of an undercut where it meets the head. I would think that this would make the crown on the king stand a bit prouder.
2) Either the head has too small a diameter or the neck underneath is too thick. I am not sure which but it may be worth another sample to see which you prefer.
Hope this helps,
Steve

Bill Stevener
11-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Hay John,
I was about to turn down the rheostat on this thing when I saw your post.
Being right up front, I don't know a thing about chess, other than what I just noted in the last post. I guess it's a king?? My only comment is the cross on the top looks like its put on with clay, or something. Needs some fixing.
I personally always found it easier to make checkers.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Loy Hawes
11-02-2005, 11:13 PM
I agree with Steve about the cross. The flair above the foot looks too wide.

Bill Stevener
11-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Loy, that is really some great observation, I didn't even know it had feet.:eek:
Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
11-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks guys...Yeah...I hate the cross. I figured that I should just cut it off for the picture...but that would be dishonest.;) I think I need to grind a special tool for that puppy.

What if I scrapped the bulging center and just had an elegant flow down from the neck to the foot? (Yes Bill...it has a neck too!)

Maybe checkers is a good idea.:rolleyes:

Chris Barton
11-03-2005, 7:45 AM
Hi John,

It looks OK to me, maybe the cross could be more refined. There is an article about 2 issues back in American Woodturner on chess pieces. Let me know if you haven't seen it and if not, then I will try to scan it and email it to you. Good luck!

John Hart
11-03-2005, 7:54 AM
Hi John,

It looks OK to me, maybe the cross could be more refined. There is an article about 2 issues back in American Woodturner on chess pieces. Let me know if you haven't seen it and if not, then I will try to scan it and email it to you. Good luck!

Yeah Chris...I'd be very interested. I've looked at pictures of some of the great turners works....but I don't want to copy anyone. Methodology insights would be very helpful. I'm kinda winging this. Thanks!

Bob Oswin
11-03-2005, 8:27 AM
I would have made the crown a bit wider and the apron (base of the king) a little narrower
Nice effort for first try though.
Do the knights first. After that, every thing is easy.

Chad Pater
11-03-2005, 8:31 AM
The flair above the foot looks too wide.

Not that it's awful but this was My first thought too...
I love chess.

John Hart
11-03-2005, 9:18 AM
I'm definitely hearing here that I need to "slender" this thing down and I wholeheartedly agree. I think I'll try several designs and post them. I also realized that I need to mount these on the lathe differently so I have better access to the tops. Might have to manufacture a special faceplate that has a mandrel built in. Jamming with the tailstock makes manuverability difficult. Thanks for your help everyone!:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-03-2005, 7:55 PM
John, you know I love your work. The main reason is the it is NOT mundane.

Besides the minor adjustments of the cross and feet, etc., My feel is that the piece has little or no flair. I'm having the same trouble making a chess set for my son. I, too, believe that tall and slender will give you a more elegant piece.

Bruce

Jim Becker
11-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Loy pointed out what my eyes see...a bit stout "down there". Otherwise...beautiful!

Keith Burns
11-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Can't say much about what it should look like but your turning skills really show. Can't wait to see more.

Rich Stewart
11-04-2005, 4:09 PM
That design might look better on the queen. First thing that hit my eye was a dress. A little more definition of the cross would be good. Would probably make it very delicate though. I really dont feel I am anywhere near qualified to critique others work and usually dont but that one kind of grabbed my eye. Just a thought.

David Dixson
11-05-2005, 12:30 AM
I used to play a lot of chess in my younger days. To me, compared to pieces I remember playing with, it appears the cross is too close to the rest of the piece. In other words, it looks like you need to raise it up a bit, away from the piece. Not by much, but a thirty second or so more than you have it now.

The base looks a little chunky, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, keeps it from tipping over when moved.

John Hart
11-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Ok....Here's our little prince but slimmed down a bit. I also made an attempt at a better hat.....Still have ways to go on the carving aspects....which scares me to death when it comes to the knight. Maybe I can just cut a block of wood and write "Knight" on it somewhere?:o . I tried this one in Cherry.

Bill Stevener
11-05-2005, 1:39 PM
Hi John,
I like the new one, can now tell it's a cross on the top. The entire turning looks great. For the size and shape, others will let you know. I'm interested in the feet;).
Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

Loy Hawes
11-05-2005, 2:15 PM
Nice improvement John! My only suggestion would be to fatten up the cross a little. I like your idea for the knight. That piece does look intimidating.

Andy Hoyt
11-05-2005, 2:39 PM
Yup. Number Two works. (where have I heard that before?) And I agree with Loy - The cross needs to be a skosh bigger as it looks a bit fragile.

After thought - Might wanna try walnut or some other uber dark wood. Seems more fitting for this "sport"?