PDA

View Full Version : the last drying of oak

Lasse Hilbrandt
10-27-2017, 1:27 PM
If I got a slab of oak lets say 2"x20" and 6 feet long and it has been drying outside protekted by the rain for 2 years. Can I expect the moistere content to by around 18% then ?

If I take that wood into my livingroom and let i stand upwards lets say around 5 month during the winter. Will it then be dry enough to plane and shape into a tabletop ?

david privett
10-28-2017, 8:26 AM
make sure not to put the wood to close to your heater , I would think it might cause it to dry to quickly. But I think you should be ok in the spring.

Dennis Ford
10-28-2017, 9:40 AM
If it is one of the many white oak varieties, you may be OK. If it is one of the many red oak varieties (open pores), you will be OK.

Bob Bouis
10-28-2017, 2:10 PM
It really depends on your local climate and the specific drying conditions for the board. Was it air drying in the middle of the bottom of the stack, or by itself somewhere open? What's the average humidity outside? Inside during the relevant times? Target MC? Etc.

Googling it, Copenhagen seems to have very high outdoor humidity in the winter. So I'd assume the board has dried less than it might in most places. Nonetheless, I'd guess most of the movement will be out of the wood by the time it's all said and done.