PDA

View Full Version : Need new compressor

Bradley Gray
10-27-2017, 8:53 AM
My 5 year old Rigid 175psi 2 tank portable compressor died yesterday and I need to replace it. Mostly use it for framing and finish nailers and inflating tires. I would love something quieter.

Any suggestions?

Sam Murdoch
10-27-2017, 9:50 AM
My choice was the Makita MAC 700 as seen here # 2 http://www.budgetaircompressors.com/best-portable-air-compressors/

I really like it. Don't mind needing to add oil (very seldom). It is "quiet" but a bit heavy though still very portable. I don't ever run more than one tool at a time so I can't speak to that. I do use it for the tasks you indicated, in that regard, it is all that I have wanted it to be.

Rich Engelhardt
10-27-2017, 11:37 AM
5 years isn't all that great as far as a lifespan goes.
Makita makes a great quiet compressor - the above mentioned 700 may be a bit on the small side if you're replacing a twin "hot dog". They also make a 2400 model that's more in line with the Ridgid.

Neither of them are rated for a 100% duty cycle though.

The California Air model - in the above link - has a better duty rating, but, I've read some rather bad reviews of the CA line recently. I had thought of getting one until I read up on CA.

My compressor is an Ingersoll Rand 2.5HP twin "hot dog". It has a 100% duty cycle - - but - - it isn't what anyone would call quiet.

Bradley Gray
10-27-2017, 1:09 PM
Thanks guys

Sam - I looked at the 2 makitas but they are pretty loud, 80 and 87 db

Rich- I'm leaning towards the CA as it is only 60db. If I end up needing to run 2 guns for a job I'll get a bigger one for the road. The Amazon reviews are pretty good, do you remember where you read the bad ones?

Tim M Tuttle
10-27-2017, 1:13 PM
I got this CA model back in March (I think). http://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-series-of-air-compressors/2-0-hp-air-compressors/cat-10020c/

Got it from Amazon and when it arrived one of the screws holding the plastic motor covers on had fallen into one of the motors. They sent me a new one as I wasnt about to start disassembling a brand new compressor.

Worked great for a few months then a host came lose and it started having trouble. Fixed the hose and it's worked great since. Super quiet.

Matt Schrum
10-27-2017, 1:52 PM
I have a California Air 10 gallon compressor and would recommend it. It is not nearly as quiet as their video (in their video you can't even hear it)-- but is still markedly quieter than any other compressor I have worked with. I can carry on a conversation next to it while it is running and my wife can't hear it through the wall that separates the garage from the house.

Bradley Gray
10-27-2017, 3:27 PM
Ordered the 1hp industrial CA- we will see how it goes.

Thanks for the responses.

Bruce Wrenn
10-31-2017, 11:28 AM
If you filled out LSA, Ridgid will either fix it, or replace it FREE!. You did file out the LSA, right?

Rich Engelhardt
10-31-2017, 5:40 PM
Brad - sorry I didn't get back to this earlier.
IIRC, the bad reviews were on Amazon..

Yep - it was Amazon- I just looked.

People seem to love the 1 HP, but, that's too small for my needs.
The 2 HP models are the ones people aren't fond of.

Bradley Gray
11-01-2017, 8:12 AM
Well, the new CA compressor arrived yesterday and seems to pump about as fast as the Rigid in makes as much noise as a sewing machine. I am pleased.

Bruce - I bought the Rigid 5 years ago from a local guy that refurbs air compressors for $175. cash with no paper. I had 2 roofers working on my house and needed it pronto.

Rich - I may have to buy a bigger compressor at some point but this one will do what I need in the shop and it is quieter than my furnace blower.

Rich Engelhardt
11-02-2017, 4:29 AM
Brad,
Yeah, I've been real tempted to get an ultra quiet small compressor.
My IR "hot dog" has plenty of air, but, the noise,,,,

peter gagliardi
11-02-2017, 6:04 AM
For those looking, Rolair makes one as well that is very quiet. It is their JC10. Rolair has a very good name in the portable compressor market.

Don Bullock
11-02-2017, 11:28 PM
I recently bought a California Air Tools CAT-1P1060S Light & Quiet Portable Air Compressor on Amazon. It was $102.50. I can not believe how quiet it is. My previous air compressor was a pancake model. When I turned it on I had to leave the room. The California unit has been plugged in and turned on since I put it in my shop. I hardly notice when it comes on. It provides plenty of power for my brad nailer and 23 gauge pin nailer. The company makes a large variety of models.

Russell Smallwood
11-03-2017, 10:27 AM
Another CAT compressor owner here. Have had a 1 gal model for over a year and it is still going strong. Really love the lack of noise. Have been very pleased to date.

Steve Catts
11-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Brad,
I see a number of 1hp models from CA on Amazon (many one-tank models of varying capacity and a couple of twin hot dog models. Which did you get? Tank capacity?

Bradley Gray
11-08-2017, 3:16 PM
Steve,

I bought the single tank 6 gal 1hp:

California Air Tools 6010LFC 1.0 HP Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free Industrial Air Compressor, 6.0-Gallon

4.3 out of 5 stars 20 customer reviews (https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-6010LFC-Industrial/dp/B00O8OHG8I/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1510172021&sr=8-13&keywords=california+air+compressor#customerReviews )

| 8 answered questions (https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-6010LFC-Industrial/dp/B00O8OHG8I/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1510172021&sr=8-13&keywords=california+air+compressor#Ask)

Was:
$329.00

Price:
$286.17