PDA

View Full Version : Wood Works with David Marks

Ken Garlock
06-24-2003, 6:07 PM
Last night on Wood Works, instead of building something, David gave a short tour of his 1600 sq-ft shop. He concentrated on what he defined to be the 4 basic power tools for any shop: cabinet saw, band-saw, planer, and jointer. He recommends looking for good USED tools. In addition, he went through a very quick band-saw tune-up, and showed how to correct for blade drift.

I don't hear much about Wood Works on the couple forum I frequent, but I thought this was worth "muddying the creek." :) This episode will be rerun a couple times this week, so if you are interested, check the DIY website for the times.

I like the program because David is a low-key guy who takes you through the project from boards to finish(tung oil ;) )

Jim Becker
06-24-2003, 6:39 PM
Another recent "winner" episode of Woodworks discussed material selection and included a tour of his woodshed outside of the shop...oh, my...what a "candy store"! I like these practical topics and if I ever had the opportunity to create such a show myself, I'd concentrate on similar topics for at least a reasonable percentage of the time. There is a great need for this...folks learn better by "seeing" sometimes.

Byron Trantham
06-24-2003, 7:32 PM
I watch David every Saturday and Sunday morning. Actually I have capture card in my PC and record every NYW and WW show. I edit them and view and re-view them a lot. On one of the other forums I visit, David got low marks (no pun here). I like him and just drool over the kind of wood he uses. Unfortunately, my wife isn't into his style of furniture so I don't get to try some of his things. I do use his techniques though. I will be checking my on-line cable guide to see if it is going to be aired this weekend.

Phil Phelps
06-24-2003, 8:43 PM
I am especially interested in his barber. I'd like to give him lessons :D mmm. let's start with this weed whacker...... :rolleyes:

Perry Schmidt
06-24-2003, 10:23 PM
I am especially interested in his barber. I'd like to give him lessons :D mmm. let's start with this weed whacker...... :rolleyes:

Come on - it's improved quite a bit! He's at least to a good mower. Have you seen old pics of him?? He was quite the hippy (sp??).

(If you haven't seen any, check out www.taunton.com, click fine woodworking, workshops and the shop tour article...I think he's the 2nd one down...)

Ken Garlock
06-25-2003, 10:26 AM
that David highly recommends having your planer and jointer knives ground with a BACK BEVEL. He claims that it makes the knives act more like a scraper than a cutter. He says it costs more, but it definitely worth it.

Just passing along his opinions....

Phil Phelps
06-26-2003, 5:38 PM
Come on - it's improved quite a bit! He's at least to a good mower. Have you seen old pics of him?? He was quite the hippy (sp??).

(If you haven't seen any, check out www.taunton.com, click fine woodworking, workshops and the shop tour article...I think he's the 2nd one down...)

It looked better then!!!! Thanks for the backward glance.