PDA

View Full Version : laser glasses suggestions want to make sure I am good

ian mcfarland
10-26-2017, 2:18 AM
So the ones that came with my Triumph laser gave me a head ache I do not believe they fully worked.

I bought these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DP2HEE4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATGCAAGV0GWQ5
They are glass lenses i have checked they do stop the beam. about 2-3mm thick

Am I good or should I spend more from a specialty shop.

Gary Hair
10-26-2017, 6:24 AM
fiber or co2? If fiber then you would have more than a headache if the glasses didn’t work, you’d have eye damage. If co2 then the acrylic lid on the laser protects you and you don’t need glasses.

Dave Sheldrake
10-26-2017, 8:51 AM
Those have an upper limit of 1,100 nm, they offer the same protection as the lid on the machine does at that wavelength (possibly less). Those are designed for Fibre lasers not CO2, they also don't go low enough to meet UV emission from the actual cut (360 to 420nm)

I have to agree with Gaz, safe practice negates the need for glasses in 99.9% of cases if you have a machine with interlocks (as you should)

Kev Williams
10-26-2017, 4:42 PM
He has a Triumph Fiber like I do :) (just not sure which model)

I have 2 sets of blue lens 'reflective' style, and a set of green lens 'absorption' style. I read where the reflective type, if scratched, can let laser light thru, but absorption lenses are safe if scratched. How true-? I bought the blue- much cheaper- for customers and green for me...

l get a headache wearing either, but especially the blue, and I think it's simply because my brain is trying to hard to adjust to their darkness.

The green ones I tested, I learned the hard way to be a little more careful on the alignment! (it was just a spur of the moment thing)...
But, they passed the test, the lens obviously did absorb the beam, and the metal on the other side wasn't marked...

matthew knott
10-26-2017, 5:39 PM
Spend a bit of money guys and treat yourselves to a decent set, Big difference is the lenses are almost clear with a much higher light transmission, almost like wearing good quality safety glasses. I can recommend Noir Laser, based in the states , have a good choice of frames and comfortable too. I order about 10 set a month from them so get a really good price but even in one offs they don’t cost that much

ian mcfarland
10-26-2017, 7:12 PM
these are for a fiber laser

So above the one guys says the lower side is missing is this the case??

Dave Sheldrake
10-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Spend a bit of money guys and treat yourselves to a decent set, Big difference is the lenses are almost clear with a much higher light transmission, almost like wearing good quality safety glasses. I can recommend Noir Laser, based in the states , have a good choice of frames and comfortable too. I order about 10 set a month from them so get a really good price but even in one offs they don’t cost that much

What do you rate "Eagle Pair" like Matt?

Dave Sheldrake
10-26-2017, 10:02 PM
these are for a fiber laser

So above the one guys says the lower side is missing is this the case??

380 - 420 isn't really so much of a problem with Fibres, on CO2 the low range is produced by the actual spot rather than the beam so a different threat

Jacob John
10-26-2017, 11:37 PM

For a fiber? Can you link them?

ian mcfarland
10-27-2017, 10:48 AM
Yes please let me know if the ones I linked in the op are covering the wavelengths or I should buy something else?

Thanks

ian mcfarland
10-27-2017, 11:47 AM
I see mine are chinese and so I am going to return them as I cannot verify they are truely covered and CE cert.
I am looking at these they are 100% coverage at the 1064nm od8+ http://www.lasersafety.com/eyewear/glass/t5h05/f31t5h055000
noirs look nice but not as high.

ian mcfarland
11-08-2017, 12:31 AM
I ended up buying these they are very clear and not tinted everything looks like normal with a little dimming to them. http://www.lasersafety.com/eyewear/polycarbonate/p5m02/f31p5m025000