PDA

View Full Version : Just drills...

steven c newman
10-25-2017, 10:13 PM
Nothing to measure, nothing to sharpen....I seem to have a "Drill Problem"
While I do only have one of these....( M-F #120) some of the others are getting out of hand...
I think that is all....maybe too many? :rolleyes:
From a M-F #2-01 down to a little "Granit" drill...
Even one of these. May have to build a better til for these?

Jim Koepke
10-26-2017, 3:13 AM
My two Millers Falls eggbeaters were put to use today to drill screw holes for some drawer bottoms. One was used to drill the threads and the other was used to drill the shank hole. That beats switching bits all the time.

jtk

michael langman
10-26-2017, 10:54 AM
I thought it would be nice to have a couple hand drills. I put a bid into ebay 2 nights ago, but bid too late. A MF #2 drill is going for just under 50.00 with shipping. I was kind of glad I missed the bid as that is a little more then I think they should cost
Price are up there on ebay.

Pat Barry
10-26-2017, 11:10 AM
steven, you need more, no doubt. One for each drill bit auger bit you regularly use.

Bill Houghton
10-26-2017, 1:30 PM
Just a beginner, Steve...just a beginner.

steven c newman
10-26-2017, 3:22 PM
Not counting all the ones I have given away..

Try to retain SOME control....otherwise I may wind up knee deep in the little critters. Bad enough I have twice this amount in braces.....

Even the push drills are getting out of hand....one of these showed up a while back...
Kind of expensive, too...
Along with a few Yankees/North Bros....

Habit forming, it is...

Stew Denton
10-26-2017, 11:31 PM
Hi Steven, Jim, and others,

Steven, it looks like you are saying you have more egg beaters than you really need.

I wonder if several of us have the same tendency, maybe not with egg beaters per say, but.....maybe other tools. In my case I have more planes, saws (way too many saws), and chisels than I need or use. (From past posts, I think there are others that have the same sickness, but far more advanced cases than I do.....but still...that doesn't mean that my judgement is good on how many old saws to buy when they are at practically give away prices.)

I wonder how many of us are the same way....more tools that we will ever use. I have enough hand saws to last me 3 or more lifetimes at the rate I wear them out. Several of the planes, and saws will go to family members as they either grow up or get more time to use them, but even so, still too many saws.

Are there lots of us the same way,having too many of one type of a tool or another?....Must be....

Stew

steven c newman
10-29-2017, 10:17 AM
Ok, Braces have been moved out of the overhead stowage rack. 5 out of the 6 eggbeaters are now up there.

Braces?
Since this picture, have added a second 6", two 8" and a 10" brace. Currently range from a Stanley 14" down to a pair of 6" ones. Could almost set up each with their own bit, saving set up time. The two 6" ones have a pilot hole drill bit, and a countersink bit. I leave those set up all the time..
Always nice to have a "cordless drill" at the ready, isn't it.
The Push drills I use mainly for small screws' pilot holes, like for a hinge
Might have a few....
They seem to come in pairs...
bench has been cleaned off, might be able to rip some Poplar down to size....and see what I can cobble up, this time. Week off from the shop is about over. Nice to take a little time off, to recharge?:rolleyes:

steven c newman
10-29-2017, 7:01 PM
Alrighty, then.....all but one eggbeater drill is hung up in the til..
Since I didn't think this one would fit..
Couldn't figure out why the handle would rattle....now I know. Millers Falls No. 104 ( 1/4")
All but two ( or three...) braces have since crowded into the other til..
And I think I have found a drawer to stash these push drill in..
#188a, 2- #41s, Millers Falls #100...until I need pilot holes for small screws made.
Poplar was laid out..
Trying to get two sides, and two ends....3/4" thick Poplar...
Then looked around for a plank for a bottom...
Needs trimmed for length. May try to get a lid out of this, as well. Still have a 1/2" x 8 x 4' plank of this clear Poplar...

Vacation from the shop is about over.....itching to get back to it. There IS a second project in the planning stages.....need to get a few parts bought for that one. Stay tuned....

steven c newman
10-30-2017, 7:46 PM
Rest of the braces have been stowed away. Push drills placed in a drawer.
Red Handle and a German brace added. Found a handle , of sorts, and a gouge that needed a handle..
Steel ferrel. Seems to be a 1/4" out chanel...marking gauge was for "other" tasks..
Getting set up to cut some pins..
I also found a couple other items, while cleaning up the bench..
The pen is there for "scale", as that rosewood handled screwdriver is rather small....along with a 1/8" Butcher chisel.

Was going to saw the tails....Migraine had other ideas....
Maybe tomorrow, I can do a bit of dovetail work?

Bill Houghton
10-31-2017, 1:46 PM
I also found a couple other items, while cleaning up the bench..
The pen is there for "scale", as that rosewood handled screwdriver is rather small....along with a 1/8" Butcher chisel.

Was going to saw the tails....Migraine had other ideas....
Maybe tomorrow, I can do a bit of dovetail work?
If you can make those kinds of tools appear by cleaning up the bench, can you come clean up mine?

Sorry about the migraine. From what I understand from friends who have them, they're way, way over on the other end of the scale from "fun."

steven c newman
10-31-2017, 1:55 PM
And the day after a Migraine is about the same as the day after an all-night Pub Crawl.......Just a hair short of being a TIA event.

Sometimes, a Tool Well is close to being a Black Hole....tools tend to disappear once they enter that "zone''.....includes a few very SHARP screws and nails to catch unwary fingertips, too...

IF this headache will finally go away, I MIGHT try a bit of dovetail work....since it isn't Monday, now....

Bill Houghton
10-31-2017, 2:29 PM
By the way: I was drilling some nail pilot holes in a board yesterday, and used an eggbeater and drill "points" - the straight-fluted bits that used to come in those bit storage handles, very similar to push drill points except with a smooth shank (and, usually, a shank the size of the bit, since the three-jaw chuck can handle multiple sizes). I was impressed by how smooth the drilling was. Even with a small bit, a twist drill bit can sometimes be balky in an eggbeater.

Wish you could still buy straight-flute drill points in the hardware store; until they return, I'm rattling every eggbeater drill I find, prepared to spend a couple of dollars for an eggbeater I don't need in order to score some more drill points.

Robert Hartmann
11-01-2017, 10:16 PM
If that's too many I'm in serious trouble. I have at least 12 (8 have been restored) and I'm always looking for more. I found the attached German drill while stationed in the Netherlands and restored it with a Millers Falls handle and a home-made crank handle (w/a MF knob). They are a joy to use!

370810 370811

steven c newman
11-03-2017, 11:32 PM
Happen to know where a Millers Falls No. 5 is, right now....$7.....needs a lot of TLC to get things moving....waiting on the monthly check to pick it up...maybe. The same stall has a Millers Falls saw set....$10....may get both....

Always got to rattle the handles....sometimes, they are full of bits...

Greg Works
11-06-2017, 3:41 PM
Hi Steven, Jim, and others,
I wonder if several of us have the same tendency, maybe not with egg beaters per say, but.....maybe other tools. In my case I have more planes, saws (way too many saws), and chisels than I need or use. (From past posts, I think there are others that have the same sickness, but far more advanced cases than I do.....but still...that doesn't mean that my judgement is good on how many old saws to buy when they are at practically give away prices.)
Stew

I do this. I can pick up saws, chisels, and braces for next to nothing. I've got so many chisels that I can make matching sets from ones I've bought individually. I've built more than one rack to hold saws. Had to buy a tool chest just to hold brace bits. I do occasionally get around to fixing them up.