PDA

View Full Version : fahscia, fayscia, potayto, potahto

Malcolm Schweizer
10-24-2017, 2:22 PM
I have always pronounced the word "Fascia" with a short "a" as in "fast" or "fabulous." I have noticed a lot of people lately correcting me with a long "a" as in "face" or "fatal." So- I googled it and found a number of YouTube videos showing the proper pronunciation of the word. Problem solved, right? Well- not so fast. One said it with a short "a" and almost silent "i". Another used the short "a" but pronounced the "i" with an "e" like this: Fah-see-ah. Another yet pronounced the long a but silent i, and another with the long a and accentuating the i.

So- how the heck do you pronounce this word?

Rod Sheridan
10-24-2017, 3:53 PM
Malcolm, I am very pleased to see you posting, hopefully things are improving for you where you live?

My wife is English, her comment would be that Americans, followed closely by Canadians should have absolutely no input on the pronunciation of English words:D

She's OK with us speaking Merican or Cannuck, as long as we don't make the false claim that it's English.

I'm voting for choice #2................Regards, Rod.

Mel Fulks
10-24-2017, 4:13 PM
I say Fay shuh. Caribbean has changed several times over my time. OFTEN on TV news always has the "t" pronounced ,but Oxford says it is silent. Even surnames change ,president Monroe was MUN ro while living. It's all always changing.

Nicholas Lawrence
10-24-2017, 7:40 PM
According to Oxford, it is something like faa-she-uh. According to my resident architect, most people pronounce it Fay-shuh.

Since I live in Rome, I will do as the Romans, regardless of what Oxford thinks.

Jim Becker
10-24-2017, 8:28 PM
Faay-sha...

Dave Zellers
10-24-2017, 8:38 PM
Two syllables. Faay-sha. That's how we pronounce it in New England.

Wayne Lomman
10-25-2017, 6:53 AM
I use option 2. Don't take much notice of my opinion though. US English has some hilarious usage of words to Australians. Don't ever say you are rooting for my team Ok?! Cheers

Bill McNiel
10-26-2017, 11:40 AM
Never heard it any other way than "faay-sha".

Bill Adamsen
10-26-2017, 11:42 AM
A two syllable word ... fey-shuh (couldn't vote because that option was not an alternative).

Kev Williams
10-27-2017, 3:12 AM
My ex used to get POd because I call the sidewalk SEE ment. "it's NOT SEEMENT, it's SahMENT!" -- yes, how stupid of me.. ;)

And in the '60's I was taught that the name of the place that's been in the news lately was NYjur. Now it's neeZHIERRE.

English is a funny language, funny to pronounce, funny to spell too..to.. two... Anyone having photi for dinner? :D

Jason Roehl
10-27-2017, 6:20 AM
My ex used to get POd because I call the sidewalk SEE ment. "it's NOT SEEMENT, it's SahMENT!" -- yes, how stupid of me.. ;)

And in the '60's I was taught that the name of the place that's been in the news lately was NYjur. Now it's neeZHIERRE.

English is a funny language, funny to pronounce, funny to spell too..to.. two... Anyone having photi for dinner? :D

Actually, a sidewalk is CON-kreet, which has suh-MENT as an ingredient.

FAY-shuh.

Jim Becker
10-27-2017, 9:34 AM
actually, a sidewalk is con-kreet, which has suh-ment as an ingredient.

Fay-shuh.

roflol!!!!!!!!!

James Waldron
10-27-2017, 1:24 PM
FAY-shuh, fo-SHO.

[Ducking]

David Helm
10-27-2017, 2:45 PM
Long A with SH sound for that which ties the rafter tails together. Short A if talking anatomy; i.e. Plantar Fascia

Charles Wiggins
10-27-2017, 4:35 PM
That is a term I learned watching This Old House, and Norm and Tom always say FAY-shuh. If it works for them that's good enough for me .

roger wiegand
10-28-2017, 9:43 AM
Interesting, when I'm talking carpentry I say it with the long a--fay, but when talking anatomy, a short a --fa. It would be hard to say derivative words like fascitis with the long a. Never realized that I pronounce the word differently depending on context.

Bruce Wrenn
11-02-2017, 10:06 PM
That is a term I learned watching This Old House, and Norm and Tom always say FAY-shuh. If it works for them that's good enough for me .Remember they both say "drawerer."

Malcolm Schweizer
11-03-2017, 12:27 AM
Well I am glad I asked. This has been interesting. I was raised US but my father spent a lot of time in Great Britain and Switzerland, although he was born in Mississippi and has a long southern drawl, but with proper English and a twinge of Swiss accent that my grandfather passed on. My mom's father was Scottish, and she speaks very proper. Living out of the US much of my life, I have picked up a lot of different language influences. I call "z" "zed." It just makes more sense to me- no confusion with "c." I say "good night" as a greeting, not a farewell. I mix up spelling "tire" and "tyre" mainly depending on who I am writing. I still sound like a southerner, but am told I'm losing that. My wife was raised US but her stepmom, who raised her from young, is British. She has an amazingly beautiful mix of US and British in her voice. (Hey- I'm in love, okay?).

So- I came to a point where the whole "fascia" pronunciation was bugging me. Seems most of you say "Fay-sha." I'm going to say this is one that will never be fully resolved, so I will just start mixing it up. ;-)

P.S. I always hated when Norm Abrams pronounced "drawer."

P.P.S. I also hate that whenever someone in a movie is supposed to be stupid, he talks with a southern accent.

Nicholas Lawrence
11-03-2017, 6:49 AM

It is a great show, but it is not where I would go to learn how to pronounce things. The one that always aggravates me is “masonary.”

Malcolm Schweizer
11-03-2017, 9:12 AM
It is a great show, but it is not where I would go to learn how to pronounce things. The one that always aggravates me is “masonary.”

Masonary- one who kills bricks.

Jim Becker
11-03-2017, 10:07 AM

He probably feels similar about the "s" appended to the end of his last name. LOL

That said, I've always found language differences interesting and have tried really hard to adapt, from a regional perspective, to whom I'm communicating with...a lot of that because of long-time participation in many online forums that draw internationally. It's been particularly interesting in the equestrian space with Aussies and Brits and others having radically different terms for certain things...like a trailer becomes a "float". :D

Nicholas Lawrence
11-03-2017, 11:19 AM
He probably feels similar about the "s" appended to the end of his last name. LOL

That said, I've always found language differences interesting and have tried really hard to adapt, from a regional perspective, to whom I'm communicating with...a lot of that because of long-time participation in many online forums that draw internationally. It's been particularly interesting in the equestrian space with Aussies and Brits and others having radically different terms for certain things...like a trailer becomes a "float". :D

Maybe that explains why we have “floats” in parades. I could never figure where that comes from.

Pat Barry
11-03-2017, 11:58 AM
Maybe that explains why we have “floats” in parades. I could never figure where that comes from.
Because, with the real floats, they just seem to float on by (all the moving parts, wheels, axles, motors, etc are hidden under the scenery).