PDA

View Full Version : Do i need more extraction?

paul simonson
10-24-2017, 6:51 AM
I have this machine and in use it spits out a little at the rear and a fair bit at the front when in use. It happens as the blades first touch and as they leave the piece.
Picture on the right shows for example 20 minutes use.

What would cause this? I'm thinking my extraction is not strong enough maybe? It is certainly taking away the great majority of material, just not this stuff.
Or is this normal?

Dave Haughs
10-24-2017, 8:48 AM
Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see any form of dust extraction connected to this thickness planer?

Jim Becker
10-24-2017, 9:12 AM
I agree with Dave...not enough information present. That said, "in general"...the higher the actual CFM for dust extraction, the more material that will get caught and sent down the duct. There will always be some "splash" from machines with rotating cutting actions, but the greater the air flow, the better the collection.

John K Jordan
10-24-2017, 9:50 AM
I can't see from the picture how yours is connected to the dust collection. I have a plastic pickup hood for mine (different brand).

That said, I still like to carry and use it outside. That the collection is perfect. :)

JKJ

Mike Kreinhop
10-24-2017, 4:21 PM
I've seen two Triton planers in use, and it has a plastic hood that attaches to the rear of the machine for dust extraction. The hood connects to a shop vacuum or other dust extraction unit. Other than small bits, everything is ejected from the rear.

If your Triton is spitting out dust and chips from the front, then the rear port must be blocked. Do you have a shop vacuum attached to it? If not, remove the plastic hood so the chips can exit at the rear.