PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a groove? Asking the experts :)

Jill Magill
10-23-2017, 10:07 AM

How would you get a groove like this in a piece of wood. It will be about 1/2 inch wide and 3 to 4 inches long

Mike Cutler
10-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Raise a dado stack to a predetermined height into a piece of wood clamped to the top of a table saw.
What is the final maximum depth? From that number and desired length, you could get the chord length, and determine the radius of the blade required.

The examples you set would probably be accomplished with a 6" dado stack.

Prashun Patel
10-23-2017, 10:23 AM
You'd clamp a board to a tablesaw and raise the blade into it. You'd have to do this at a few positions. If you Google 'speed tenon' or 'coves on the table saw' you'll see possible ways to do this. Caveat emptor.

Matt Day
10-23-2017, 10:23 AM
Secure the piece with clamps, Plunge a 1/2” dado stack up from below on the table saw. Or lower a dado stack on the RAS. - depending if the radius of the curve fits the dado radius.

Or make a swinging router jig.

Those would be my first thoughts.

Jill Magill
10-23-2017, 10:27 AM
Thank-you. So quick. I will look at those ideas.

Jill Magill
10-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Your replies got me moving in the right direction. I am going to make a jig like this.

Mike Cutler
10-23-2017, 11:25 AM
Your replies got me moving in the right direction. I am going to make a jig like this.

Make sure to use a bit with bottom cutters.

Steve Peterson
10-23-2017, 7:16 PM
One more comment. It would be a lot easier (and safer) if you can cut the groove before cutting the piece to 3-4" long. It is much easier to clamp if it is 12" long.

Pat Barry
10-23-2017, 7:31 PM

That doesn't look at all like a tablesaw ;)

Lee Schierer
10-23-2017, 7:38 PM

You're going to need guides to keep the router centered.......

Bruce Page
10-23-2017, 8:08 PM

How would you get a groove like this in a piece of wood. It will be about 1/2 inch wide and 3 to 4 inches long
Is that your model? What is the radius & depth of cut?

Jim Becker
10-23-2017, 8:51 PM

Yea, this was something along the line of what I was going to offer up as an idea. The small size of the pieces may not work well with the radius of a typical dado stack, so swinging a router bit as illustrated can be more flexible in that respect. You will want a small base on the router so that it doesn't soften the radius too much.

Tom Bain
10-23-2017, 9:25 PM
There are almost always multiple ways to accomplish anything in woodworking ... another option in this case (depending on what will be showing, needing to match grain, etc) would be to cut a square mortise then cut a 2nd piece that has the proper curve/radius and then drop and glue that into the mortise. While that might seem like more work, if you only need one of these (and not a whole bunch) it's actually probably faster than building a specialized router jig.

Bill Adamsen
10-23-2017, 10:09 PM
There are almost always multiple ways to accomplish anything in woodworking.

If only one is needed, start with three strips of wood. Use a bandsaw to cut the curve in what will become the center and glue together.

Jim Becker
10-24-2017, 9:03 AM
If only one is needed, start with three strips of wood. Use a bandsaw to cut the curve in what will become the center and glue together.
Excellent suggestion. And if one chooses the material carefully, the glue lines will virtually disappear.

Jill Magill
10-24-2017, 9:21 AM
So many great ideas. Yesterday I tried it with a dado blade on the table saw. It worked perfectly. I did it so that the curve is only on one side. Feeding the lumber on to the blade enough to make the channel. That is all I really need but I will be trying to do the lift the dado stack so I can get the curve on both sides. It will help not having a channel right through. My husband is making a zero clearance insert for this dado stack today so I can try it when I get home.

I am making amish marble towel holders and the curve is essential to the design working correct. I did try it with a round router bit but it needs more of a rise at the end. I am attaching a picture of the basic idea for the project.370314

Thanks

Matt Day
10-24-2017, 11:06 AM
I just googled Amish towel holder. Looks cool! Never heard of them before or seen the design.

Bill’s idea might be the winner if you only needed a couple. If you’re making a lot, and if the radius worked, I’d use the dado blade idea and make multiple cuts on one long board then cut to the desired size.

Mike Cutler
10-24-2017, 11:08 AM
Wow! That's a clever little device. I've never seen one before.

Jill Magill
10-24-2017, 11:17 AM
it is an amazing little design. The key is the curve so that the marble rolls against the wood and holds. I tested a few different ways with scrap wood and the dado cut works the best. I like that the towel holds while drying your hands but pulls out easily when needed. This will be very handy in the kitchen. Too often our tea towels end up on the floor and dog hair is a problem. :)

I plan on making and selling so I will be looking for the easiest way to make multiples. Mine will look quite a bit different than the ones on the internet though. When I get a few to where I want them I will post a few pictures.

Tom Bain
10-24-2017, 3:19 PM
An even better and simpler approach!

Joe A Faulkner
10-25-2017, 10:56 PM
Excellent suggestion. And if one chooses the material carefully, the glue lines will virtually disappear.

Ala Krenov style laminated planes. Start with one piece of wood, cut off the two sides, then cut the arc, then glue it back up.

Jill Magill
10-26-2017, 8:12 AM
Ala Krenov style laminated planes. Start with one piece of wood, cut off the two sides, then cut the arc, then glue it back up.

I looked that up. That is a great idea. I can buy furniture squares. Cut a dado for the gap. Cut the two pieces apart. Cut the dado for the marble. Glue back together. Thanks for another great idea.

Jim Becker
10-26-2017, 9:37 AM
Very true, but the grain pattern of the blank is critical to making that glue line disappear!