PDA

View Full Version : Drum sander conveyor belt

Kevin Stanis
10-23-2017, 9:20 AM
I picked up a General 24" dual drum sander. The conveyor belt seems dried out. Is there anything I can use to soften it up a little? I had a few pieces that I had to help through because it was slipping.

I priced out a new belt and it was around $350. Not really looking to spend that kind of money.

Mark Bolton
10-23-2017, 11:39 AM
Does it seem dry all the way through or just the surface? It's not uncommon to surface the belt to scuff it and remove a little glaze but if it feels like its all the way through you may be stuck replacing it.

Kevin Jenness
10-23-2017, 12:15 PM
As Mark said, you can try dressing the belt by carefully raising the table up until the coarse abrasive kisses the belt and just removes pencil marks.

Mark Fogleman
10-23-2017, 12:40 PM
You can use Belt Dressing on old slipping V belts. I wonder if it would work here?

Kevin Stanis
10-23-2017, 6:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. It seems dry all the way through. It's been sitting for a few years.

I had a grizzly 24" before this one and the belt seemed a little softer.

I'm going to look into it more tonight.

Kevin Stanis
11-12-2017, 2:07 PM
I ended up taking it off and pressure washing it. Seemed to have help. Not sure if the previous owner spilled something or he was using it to do something funky.

Not sure I would recommend the pressure wash idea. I just did it as a last resort. Used it a lot this weekend with no problems.

Thanks again for the replies