PDA

View Full Version : Using eggbeaters

Mark Stutz
10-22-2017, 5:28 PM
As I get my boxes unpacked (more slowly than I like) and get things organized enough to work, I've come across my eggbeater style hand drills. The only one I've actually used is a very small one and I've only drill small holes up to 1/8 for screws, etc. I've since acquired a medium sized one as well as a North Bros 1545. This is going to need some cleaning and lubrication, but otherwise is in good shape. It has a 3/8 chuck.

For practical applications, what is the largest bit that you can reasonable operate? Is there a type of bit the works better? Will the typical brad point bit that I used in my powered drill work?

Patrick Chase
10-22-2017, 6:50 PM
As I get my boxes unpacked (more slowly than I like) and get things organized enough to work, I've come across my eggbeater style hand drills. The only one I've actually used is a very small one and I've only drill small holes up to 1/8 for screws, etc. I've since acquired a medium sized one as well as a North Bros 1545. This is going to need some cleaning and lubrication, but otherwise is in good shape. It has a 3/8 chuck.

For practical applications, what is the largest bit that you can reasonable operate? Is there a type of bit the works better? Will the typical brad point bit that I used in my powered drill work?

I typically switch over to augers (or sacrifice electrons) above 1/4". For bits I mostly use conventional twist or brad-point bits, depending on how much I care about edge quality. I think that sharp twist bits are a little easier to drive.

Don Dorn
10-22-2017, 7:39 PM
I commonly use three at the bench. One is a Millers Falls #5 with an 1/8 bit for pilots for nails, marking, etc. The others are both Millers Falls #2s. One that has a countersink and the other to ream that hole out for screws if used.

Went through a buying stage of them a few years ago and am sitting on about six. Wife uses one for pictures, one at work, one at . . you get the idea.