PDA

View Full Version : Combination Machine with 16" Planer? Who Makes One?

Patrick Irish
10-21-2017, 11:44 AM
I'm not sure a combination machine will be in my price range BUT seeing how my 2 car garage is packed with a 36" Unisaw, router table, 8" grizzly jointer and a 16" powermatic planer, an all in one would certainly take up less space. It will also mean the shop I hope to build in the house the Fiancé and I buy won't have to be so big and save me some $$

I was looking at Robland and Hammer, but info is sparse. Who makes a combination machine with a 16" planer?

If these are super expensive, I may just look for a used Sawstop and add the new sliding piece.

Thanks
RC

mreza Salav
10-21-2017, 1:23 PM
Both Felder (741 series) and Minimax have (CU410 series). There are other European brands (less known in NA) that have such machines. E.g. casadei c41es which is essentially same as Minimax CU410 series. Prices are in the $20-30k range.

Mick Simon
10-21-2017, 1:26 PM
I'm not sure about Robland, but Hammer makes the A3-41 (https://us.felder-group.com/us-us/products/jointer-planersjointersplaners/jointer-planer-a3-41.html), on sale right now for $4351 with the straight knife cutterhead, about $800 more for the spiral head. Felder makes two versions with 16" planers, the AD741 (https://us.felder-group.com/us-us/products/jointer-planersjointersplaners/jointer-planer-ad-741.html) and AD941 (https://us.felder-group.com/us-us/products/jointer-planersjointersplaners/jointer-planer-ad-941.html). Minimax also has a 16" J/P in a few models, the FS41 (https://www.elitemetaltools.com/tool-shop/products/minimax-16-high-performance-combination-jointer-and-planer-fs41-elite?sku=FS41%20Elite&gclid=CjwKCAjw4KvPBRBeEiwAIqCB-QRnlAYUjA3R0NN4rCUrwa8_zE2M4O2pxH2kzZGzke9ntcqS7qk 9mxoCh80QAvD_BwE).

Rod Sheridan
10-22-2017, 3:46 PM
I'm not sure a combination machine will be in my price range BUT seeing how my 2 car garage is packed with a 36" Unisaw, router table, 8" grizzly jointer and a 16" powermatic planer, an all in one would certainly take up less space. It will also mean the shop I hope to build in the house the Fiancé and I buy won't have to be so big and save me some $$

I was looking at Robland and Hammer, but info is sparse. Who makes a combination machine with a 16" planer?

If these are super expensive, I may just look for a used Sawstop and add the new sliding piece.

Thanks
RC

Hi, a cabinet saw with a sliding table attachment isn't in the same league as a true slider.

I find that a saw/shaper and a jointer/planer make the best use of space compared to a full combination machine.

As others have mentioned, Felder, Hammer and MiniMax make machines in the range you're looking for............Rod.

Mike Hollingsworth
10-22-2017, 3:53 PM
I find that a saw/shaper and a jointer/planer make the best use of space compared to a full combination machine.

As much as I would like to have those 2 separates, my shop, set up from a 2 car garage, could never have the amount of machines if it weren't for my full combo.

Don Jarvie
10-22-2017, 4:30 PM
Jetand Rikon make a 12 inch for around 2500.00. A 12 inch should handle pretty much everything.

Jim Becker
10-22-2017, 5:55 PM
Jetand Rikon make a 12 inch for around 2500.00. A 12 inch should handle pretty much everything.
Well...a 12" J/P, either stand alone or part of a full combo, can't handle material wider than 12". :) We all have different needs and the OP feels the need for 16"/410mm J/P capacity. Honestly, I wish I had 16"/410mm capacity instead of the 13.6"/350mm capacity of my J/P multiple times in a year as I tend to work with wide lumber.

-----
OP, a 16" J/P combo is pretty easy to be had from MiniMax, Felder, Hammer, etc. I'm a MM fan, but could be happy with any of these units.

Bill Adamsen
10-22-2017, 10:28 PM
No longer made, though often available used, the Knapp 410 is 16". The JP came with 4 knife Wigo head (same concept as Tersa) or a 3 knife standard head. A Byrd head is also available. There were other options including table extensions, bed rollers, and a mortise head that attaches to the JP spindle. These are all similar features to the other Euro combo machines.

Rod Sheridan
10-23-2017, 8:12 AM
As much as I would like to have those 2 separates, my shop, set up from a 2 car garage, could never have the amount of machines if it weren't for my full combo.

Interesting Mike, my shop which is about the size of a single car garage can't fit a full combination machine however the 2 fit in just great.

I've always found that the full combination machine fits best in a square shaper shop rather than a small rectangular one.........Rod.

Bill Adamsen
10-23-2017, 10:50 AM
The full combination machine fits best in a square shaper shop rather than a small rectangular one.........Rod.

This is almost true at least for handling sheet goods. You will need (or want) eight feet to the left (slider side) of the blade and then another three feet beyond the JP ... so likely close to sixteen feet of width to go along with the eighteen feet of length (for handling sheet goods). Makes a track saw more and more attractive!

Mike Hollingsworth
10-23-2017, 11:22 AM
Makes a track saw more and more attractive!

Got dat right!

Patrick Irish
10-23-2017, 11:24 AM
That Knapp 410 looks interesting. There's an old Felder b7 41 for sale. It's probably 10+ years old and listed for $20k which seems high.

I'd like a 16" planer because the cutting boards I make are 15x20.

I might get lucky and be able to build a shop say 30% bigger than my 2 car garage and not need a combination machine. They sure do look well designed and more functional than a cabinet saw and separate other machines.

I might look for a 16" planer/jointer and stay with a cabinet saw BUT from the videos I watch, crosscutting with a slider is drool worthy.

Andy Giddings
10-23-2017, 11:31 AM
That Knapp 410 looks interesting. There's an old Felder b7 41 for sale. It's probably 10+ years old and listed for $20k which seems high.

I'd like a 16" planer because the cutting boards I make are 15x20.

I might get lucky and be able to build a shop say 30% bigger than my 2 car garage and not need a combination machine. They sure do look well designed and more functional than a cabinet saw and separate other machines.

I might look for a 16" planer/jointer and stay with a cabinet saw BUT from the videos I watch, crosscutting with a slider is drool worthy.

Considering the list price for a new Felder CF741 Pro is $24.7k, that 20k for a 10 year old version seems very high - unless there is a bunch of gear that comes with it and it's in exceptional condition

Bill Adamsen
10-23-2017, 12:04 PM
The combination machines have pros and cons ... especially when compared to standalone. The various attributes and comparisons have been explored ad-nauseam over the past decade or so on this forum. I have a combo machine and it works great for me, though. Ideally, for the type of work I do, I'd like a longer jointer, a wider planer, a more easily setup rear tilting shaper and a ... bunch of saws that do different things well. I also want more space for assembly. Oh well.

David Kumm
10-23-2017, 12:37 PM
The Knapp SS was a great build and machine. Their JP, while good, is not a better build than a similar Felder 700 series of the same size. At least that is what I've been told by a friend with experience using both. The Knapp JP should be less than 5K because they are not in business and a Felder 741 closer to 7-10K used. The 941 would be a great option for a used JP. Full Knapp combo 5-8K depending on accessories, Felder or MM 7 series equivelent more like 15K if fairly new, 10K or less if 15-20 years old. Accessories like additional tables, fences, tooling, powerfeeder, etc can add 5K in value so you need to compare apples to apples. DAve

brian platt
10-24-2017, 3:13 AM
I've had a Knapp 410 and found it was a great machine. Bought it used on Ebay, drove to Las Vegas to pick it up. At that time (2008) I was able to get several replacement parts from Laguna (it took a trip their office in Irvine). I doubt they still would support them, so you would want to be sure it had the accessories you needed and it was in good shape. Unfortunately l sold it when we moved and my shop downsized. Finding them used (or 16" J/P) is very hit and miss. I bought a MM CU300 used last year. It was a very good machine, but I missed the 16" J/P, so I just sold it. It sold in 1 week on CL, whereas it took 3 months to sell my Knapp. Now I'm back looking for a 16" Combo for J/P & Slider.

Location plays a big part in finding them used and in pricing. As you mentioned above, there is a Felder BF-741 for $20k in San Jose on CL. The same basic saw was just on E-bay for $6900. It did not sell, as it is located in Mississippi and the seller won't ship. (I checked). Patrick I'm not sure where you are located, it might be an option if you're not too far away and open to a drive.

One other factor to consider if you are buying used is having to get it home. Having move 3 combo machines by trailer, I can tell you they are a challenge. The 16" machines weight 2200-2500 lbs. I rented forklifts to load them. Yes they had mobility kits, which work fine on level concrete. Pulling them off a trailer or over dips/bumps is something else. You need at least a pallet jack. Separate J/P and sliders weigh less, usually 900-1100 lbs. Still heavy but easier to get home and move in the shop.