PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut shallow bowl.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-20-2017, 2:44 AM
I finally finish turned the second half of this Walnut crotch, originally rough turned it a dozen years ago, the first half I returned in July 2015.

This wood has lots of colors and a nice feather in it, I kept the bowl shallow to not turn all that figure away, it is 14” X 2 ½”

As I haven’t shown any of my turnings for a while I thought this was a good one to show, and so all comments are welcome.

370022 370023 370024

Greg Parrish
10-20-2017, 5:47 AM
That's a beauty. Really like the shape and the wood grain. Thanks for sharing.

John Keeton
10-20-2017, 6:36 AM
I finally finish turned the second half of this Walnut crotch, originally rough turned it a dozen years ago, the first half I returned in July 1215.Leo, I know you have been turning a long time - just didn’t realize it had been THAT long!!:D Great piece of wood and a nice bowl.

Dave Fritz
10-20-2017, 9:24 AM
Beautiful figure and beautiful job. I assume tung oil? I'll bet it has a soft glow as well.

Louis Harvill
10-20-2017, 10:09 AM
Sir, I like it.

robert baccus
10-20-2017, 11:50 PM
Very nice bowl as usual for you. You have managed to capture some of the blue color that shows on fresh cut walnut but usually goes away when finished--very nice. Can you share your finishing method with us ?

Leo Van Der Loo
10-21-2017, 7:47 PM
That's a beauty. Really like the shape and the wood grain. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for commenting Greg :D.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-21-2017, 7:50 PM
Leo, I know you have been turning a long time - just didn’t realize it had been THAT long!!:D Great piece of wood and a nice bowl.

Thanks for catching that goof John :o, and thanks for your comment on the bowl :)

Leo Van Der Loo
10-21-2017, 7:53 PM
Beautiful figure and beautiful job. I assume tung oil? I'll bet it has a soft glow as well.

Thanks for looking and your comment Dave :), and yes my usual Polymerized Tung Oil Finish, nice and I like the outcome of it.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-21-2017, 7:55 PM
Sir, I like it.

Thanks for looking and your reply Louis :D

Mel Fulks
10-21-2017, 8:28 PM
A color riot! Mesmerizing polymerizing!

Leo Van Der Loo
10-21-2017, 8:54 PM
Very nice bowl as usual for you. You have managed to capture some of the blue color that shows on fresh cut walnut but usually goes away when finished--very nice. Can you share your finishing method with us ?

Thank you Robert, I always hope you will comment, as I value and appreciate it :D, I use the pure polymerized Tung Oil from Lee Valley, first I go for a very smooth surface and then add a good coat of the PTO (Polymerized Tung Oil), let it soak in for maybe 5 to 10 minutes (depend on temps and humidity) then wipe it down real good, with open grain like Walnut I do go back at least once to re-wipe for the bleed-out you will get with that, then let it harden up for a day before adding another coat, depending what I want, I will add a couple more coats as before.

Yes the colors are showing now, but I do expect these to mellow over time as is my experience with any wood and color over time.

Ted Calver
10-21-2017, 9:14 PM
Lovely work, Leo. Great piece of wood and a really nice shape. Thank's for sharing.

Bill Jobe
10-21-2017, 9:30 PM
Another stunning piece, Leo. They just keep getting better and better. I think this is my favorite of all the bowls you've shown us since I joined. I love walnut.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-21-2017, 9:34 PM
Lovely work, Leo. Great piece of wood and a really nice shape. Thank's for sharing.

Thank you for looking and commenting Ted, I :)appreciate it

Leo Van Der Loo
10-21-2017, 9:39 PM
Another stunning piece, Leo. They just keep getting better and better. I think this is my favorite of all the bowls you've shown us since I joined. I love walnut.

Thanks for your very kind response Bill :)

Lamar Wright
10-23-2017, 9:30 AM
Leo, I love the wood grain in this walnut piece. It is just beautiful!

Leo Van Der Loo
10-24-2017, 1:55 AM
Leo, I love the wood grain in this walnut piece. It is just beautiful!

Thanks for looking and commenting Lamar :D.

Alan Arnup
10-26-2017, 2:36 AM
What a delightful result Leo. I have not been on Sawmill Creek for some time and have missed seeing your wonderful creations. Well done!

Leo Van Der Loo
10-26-2017, 8:56 PM
What a delightful result Leo. I have not been on Sawmill Creek for some time and have missed seeing your wonderful creations. Well done!

Thank you Alan :) for looking and making the effort to comment, I appreciate it Alan, and welcome back of course.

A little slow with answering, we had our first snow storm up here with some 8 inches of heavy wet snow, took the power out, and came only on just half an hour ago :).

Of course had to haul the emergency generator out and get it fired up, as our sump was filling up quite fast, anyway it is all set to go for the next outing, maybe now we won’t get another one :rolleyes:.