PDA

View Full Version : Now THAT's how you do business!

Joe Unni
11-02-2005, 4:57 PM
Hey All!

I just wanted to take a quick minute to rave about Woodworkers Hardware's customer support.

A few weeks ago I placed an order with them - received it just fine and everything seemed in order. One of the items was a 'ready for finish' cherry stemware rack ($77.) for the project I was just about to start.

Just two days ago and well into the project it was time to open an install the rack. What I found was nothing short of junk. Here goes:

not near ready for finish - a good amount of sanding was in order
the end stemware holder was broken - peaved I accepted as I was cutting this thing to fit anyways.
another holder was cracked - "I guess I'll put this against the wall"
one end of one of the two stretchers was milled from defect lumber (a knot) - "ok I'm cutting this off anyways"
upon stripping the un-needed holders, I found that they came apart very easily and were barely glued. Getting pretty steamed now.
a couple of holders had router blemishes (i.e. the router moved at the end of a pass thus creating a divit (sp?).
Side bar - the manufacturer had the stones to burn their name into the work.I exclaimed to myself that I would never sign my name to substandard work like this!

I couldn't contain myself any longer and it was too late to return it - too late in the project and I'd started modifying the unit itself - I called Woodworkers customer service to provide some constructive criticism.

I said just that - that I wanted to provide some constructive criticism. I went through my bullet list calmly and professionally. The gentleman on the other end of the phone was sympathetic and couldn't believe what I was describing. He went on to explain that the same manufacturer had experienced some 'off shore' QC issues for another, similar product and wondered if it was happening again.

He asked if it had been installed and started to offer to replace it. I explained that I could make it work and it was too late.

He then proceeded to look up the order itself and as it contained a 15% discount offer for future purchases, he offered to apply the discount to the old order - the whole order. It came out to be about $25.

I couldn't believe it. I truly wasn't looking for anything. I just wanted to let them know that this product was substandard.

This is how to 'make good' with your customers. I only wish more businesses would be a proactive as this. See, everyone wins. They get a great review and a repeat customer and I get a discount.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. I just wanted to share.

Thanks,
-joe

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Some people CARE about customers and some DON"T!

Bruce

Matthew Poeller
11-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Types of posts much more than the rants that people have but both are very, very informative.

I wish that companies did this more and more. It would be nice to see.