PDA

View Full Version : SuperNova II Ball Ended Key Problems?

Glen Blanchard
10-19-2017, 9:21 PM
I recently heard that Teknatool's ball ended key for the SuperNova chuck can (over time) strip out the female chuck receptacle. The recommendation was to cut off the ball end. This is the first time I have heard of this.

Anyone experience this problem? I'm willing to perform surgery on my key if need be, but don't want to make the mistake of correcting a problem that doesn't really exist.

CHARLES D Richards
10-19-2017, 9:51 PM
I quit using the key that came with the chuck after the plastic handle broke and started using a hex key which has a much stouter hand and works perfect

Ken Fitzgerald
10-19-2017, 10:00 PM
I have a SN2 and the original key works just fine. Of course, I have only had it for 9 years or so.

John K Jordan
10-19-2017, 10:39 PM
I recently heard that Teknatool's ball ended key for the SuperNova chuck can (over time) strip out the female chuck receptacle. The recommendation was to cut off the ball end. This is the first time I have heard of this.

Anyone experience this problem? I'm willing to perform surgery on my key if need be, but don't want to make the mistake of correcting a problem that doesn't really exist.

Glen,

Yikes, I have not yet heard of this happening. Did you hear it on a forum, from Teknatool, from a SN2 user??

I didn't like the ball end keys so I've been using some without the ball. (Seems like some of my chucks came with a straight end because I have several of those.) In general I like ball end hex keys for one special purpose - when access is restricted the ball can let the key (more or less) work at a slight angle. Is it possible Teknatool supplies it because certain turnings or blanks mounted in the chuck might prevent using a straight key properly?

If I remember correctly the ball end key normally will easily seat fully in the chuck. I wonder if the people who have had trouble are not inserting the key completely. Or maybe they are cousins to the incredible Hulk. Maybe 10 years ago I bought two used SuperNova chucks (with the geared keys) from a Hulk cousin - the guy used so much force on the chucks that the chuck body was deformed and the slides would barely move! It was a tedious job to fix them.

Also, if you want to use a straight key without cutting yours you can get a non-Teknatool t-handle hex key that fits. I picked up one a few years ago but I can't remember where I got it.

JKJ

Sid Matheny
10-19-2017, 10:47 PM
I read or saw this a few days ago also but have never had any trouble with any of my SN2 chucks or keys.

Glen Blanchard
10-19-2017, 10:52 PM
John - I heard it in a 'Rick Turns' You Tube video. The video in particular is titled, "Should You buy a Record SC4 Chuck?". It's at the 1:45 mark in that video. Rick states that **he** heard it in one of Mike Peace's videos.

Bill Blasic
10-20-2017, 6:36 AM
I wrote about cutting off the ball end as it did damage to the chuck I actually used it on in the past. I wrote this again in the review of the Nova Titan III in this months More Woodturning Magazine. Nova did supply me with the pinions to repair that chuck. I have cut off all ball ends since that first one was damaged (that was my first Super Nova II) and have not had a problem since. I believe it happened because of the different angles that the ball can be inserted and not straight in like a regular ended Allen wrench that fills the walls of the pinions.

Al Wasser
10-20-2017, 10:27 AM
I cut the ball end off mine many years ago. I think I was told to do it by a fellow turner.

Richard Dooling
10-20-2017, 11:03 AM
I have not had a problem but I'm not in love with the ball end either. I have two SN II chucks so I left one with the ball and cut the other off.

I have to wonder if some people are over tightening their chucks. Just as I had to learn with router collets, tight enough is all you need.

ELY WALTON
10-20-2017, 6:18 PM
I hope no one is using the key for a tommy bar... (I also have had no problems with the ball end key and SN2.)

Ely

Kyle Iwamoto
10-20-2017, 7:12 PM
I cut the ball end off my key and I do use the key as a Tommy bar to loosen and tighten the chuck on the spindle. Do not like the ball feature. If you don't put it in straight, it grinds away as it rotates and moves in the hex. I would think. Much like a CV joint. Wear. Just my $0.02.

James Nugent 246
10-21-2017, 6:07 AM
I replaced mine after the handle split with an allen wrench. Better quality and i can use the short arm for more leverage when tightening.

john zulu
10-25-2017, 4:44 AM
What size is the hex key? I am not at home now to view it.

Gary Baler
10-25-2017, 7:05 AM
Mine stripped out the pinons that adjust the jaws. Nova replaced the pinons. Now I use a 3/8' hex key. I also have a metric hex key that fits but I don't know the size. If you use it long enough it will happen ... besides, the hex key gives a more secure connection anyway.

Phil Hansen
10-25-2017, 9:26 AM
What size is the hex key? I am not at home now to view it.

8 mm

Too short so blah blah

john zulu
10-25-2017, 12:04 PM
8 mm

Too short so blah blah

Thanks. Going for the Wiha T handle set.