PDA

View Full Version : Walnut in Walnut

John K Jordan
10-19-2017, 2:10 PM
This morning I was preparing some 2" thick blanks for a Beads of Courage box/lidded bowl demo for this weekend when I found this in a walnut 8/4 board. A walnut nut evidently fell into a crevice in a walnut tree and the tree grew around it. I've seen unusual things in logs and boards before but this is a first for me. It looked a little more like a nut before I ran it through the planer but I didn't think to take a picture of it then.

I've had this and some other boards from the same tree for maybe 30 years and this was the first time I looked at them closely!

The nut looked like it was past it's prime.

JKJ

Mel Fulks
10-19-2017, 2:23 PM
The whole Nutty area composition looks like a Muppet face. You might need a good lawyer!

John K Jordan
10-19-2017, 2:32 PM
The whole Nutty area composition looks like a Muppet face. You might need a good lawyer!

Ha, you're right. The planer added white over the eyes! Almost looks like he's praying (or stuffing is face with cookies. Move over, Rorschach!

JKJ

Robert Hayward
10-19-2017, 7:51 PM
Here is a Tennessee walnut. I was working up there during the walnut season years ago and would crack open nuts to snack on. I still have this one.

Mark Greenbaum
10-20-2017, 10:54 AM
I used to own a place in TN near Leiper's Fork. There was a huge old red oak tree at the top of the driveway. I called it Council Tree, because the property was surely an old Indian Camp with an artesian spring at the road. Anyway, the red oak looked like a huge hand, because the center had been hit by lightning probably a hundred years prior. One day I climbed up to the crotch of that tree, and in the moss that was about 6" thick was a walnut tree growing. The walnut tree that the nut came from was taller and up the hill about 50 feet.

After I sold that property, I came back past it about 5 years later, and the fools I'd sold the property to had removed the Council Tree to get a double wide trailer onto the ledge above it. The oak was about 8 foot in diameter at 3 feet above the ground. What an interesting piece of wood if the walnut grew substantially through and into the crotch of that oak.

Richard Dooling
10-23-2017, 4:53 PM
One day I climbed up to the crotch of that tree, and in the moss that was about 6" thick was a walnut tree growing. The walnut tree that the nut came from was taller and up the hill about 50 feet.

Interesting, I had not heard of this grafting technique.