PDA

View Full Version : Water based poly

Dave Fritz
10-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Wondering if anyone has wet sanded with water based poly?

Prashun Patel
10-19-2017, 11:53 AM
All of the waterbased polys I have used dry too quickly for wetsanding. I have used it for pore filling by repeatedly applying, then sanding flat (but this is done after it dries each time).

George Bokros
10-19-2017, 6:02 PM
I don't think the OP means sanding it while it is wet.

John K Jordan
10-19-2017, 10:46 PM

I wonder. Maybe he'll explain.

I learned a wet sanding technique from turner John Lucas - wet sanding with thin CA glue. (That sets up pretty quickly!) I didn't believe him until I tried it myself. Have to be careful to not glue your fingers but it works amazingly well to fill small voids, cracks, and tearout from Hades. Unlike adding sanding dust then thin CA, the times I used it the repair was almost impossible to see.

JKJ

Brice Rogers
10-20-2017, 12:38 AM
John, did you use anything - - like BLO or mineral oil - - along with the CA to perhaps slow it down a little?

John K Jordan
10-20-2017, 6:16 AM
John, did you use anything - - like BLO or mineral oil - - along with the CA to perhaps slow it down a little?

No, I did it the way Sir Lucas said and haven't tried any variations. It does set up quickly but that's an advantage I guess. I have used the oil method when using CA as a finish though.

For the CA wet sanding I use a relatively coarse paper, maybe 220 or coarser depending on the surface and squirt a little CA directly on a small piece of cloth-backed sandpaper then sand. Throw that piece away when it sets up and get another. I use rolls of sandpaper in a rack by the lathe so I just tear off little strips about 1.5" long from a 1" wide roll. I haven't used this method a lot but as mentioned, it has been so useful (and quick) in special cases.

BTW, if anyone is interested, here's the sandpaper rack I built about 12 years ago - I like the Klingspor gold paper. Each "slot" has both a 1" and 2" roll. (The cut-down paper towel roll is handy too - most of the time I only want a small piece!)

JKJ

Dave Fritz
10-20-2017, 9:27 AM
Not sure what OP means?

John K Jordan
10-20-2017, 2:03 PM
Not sure what OP means?

He means you! :) Original or maybe Originating Poster or maybe Person, take your pick: the person who created the thread with the [OP] next to his name. The VIP.

JKJ

Dave Fritz
10-21-2017, 9:18 AM
Oh, well, yes I mean to wet the sandpaper and the wood then sand. Prashun's reply was well taken by OP

Prashun Patel
10-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Sorry if I was confusing. Sanding water based poly While th finish is wet is difficult because it dries so fast. But sanding th dry finish with wet paper is fine. beware if you use mineral spirits as the lubricant here.

Dave Fritz
10-22-2017, 8:40 AM
Thank you Prashun, I understood what you meant and can see where that would be an issue.

Mike Hollingsworth
10-22-2017, 11:50 AM
beware if you use mineral spirits as the lubricant here.

what happens?

Prashun Patel
10-22-2017, 12:48 PM
mineral spirits, if not completely cleaned off the surface, can be incompatible with some waterbased topcoats.

Lamar Wright
10-23-2017, 9:24 AM
John, where did you purchase roll sand paper that that wide? Thanks

John K Jordan
10-23-2017, 10:40 AM
John, where did you purchase roll sand paper that that wide? Thanks

I buy 1" and 2" wide rolls of Klingspor Gold from Klingspor: http://www.woodworkingshop.com/category.aspx?id=22&f2=KLINGSPOR+GOLD+ROLLS
They have wider rolls too.

I've tried a lot of different paper and this is my favorite. The heavy cloth backing is flexible but still is stiff enough to roll into a tube or cone and sand tight coves. Tears nicely. I also glue it to strips of wood or plywood to make sanding sticks, both 1" and 2".

Klingspor will give 10% discount to turning clubs if your club signs up. I think they still do that.

JKJ

Lamar Wright
10-23-2017, 1:31 PM
Hi John, thanks so much for that information. I also like how you made sanding sticks out of the sanding strips. I am going to order some sand paper rolls from Klingspor. Like the cloth backing, it is getting harder to find. Really like your idea of how you have the rolls mounted on the wall, very neat and handy..... Happy turning.