PDA

View Full Version : Not another Roubo bench

Tom Bussey
10-18-2017, 7:26 PM
I posted a while back in the design section about laying out for my new bench, I have been busy building so I haven't posted much. I did post in the jigs and fixture section on a couple things I had to build just to build the bench.

My new bench is 34 1/2 inches high, just under 8 foot long. I wanted to be able to get the top in my pick up truck, And the split top with a tool tray is 36 inches wide. My bench was inspired by a picture that was taken of a 12 foot long shaker bench found in a museum at Hancock Village in Hancock Ma.

I prefer a tail and a shoulder vise verses a leg vise, and that is what I made on the front side of my bench. Since my bench is wide I decided to do a wagon vise and a leg vise on the back side. I prefer to work all around my benches and there are times that a left handed bench would come in handy so what I have pictured is a leg vise on the right side and the wagon vise hardware in setting on top.

I have found it harder and harder to bend over or get down on my hands and knees to get things that drop on or roll under the bench. I have also found that things tend to go under the bench and can end up with a big layer of dust after a while so I put in drawers all the way to the floor, just like the shaker bench. Although my bench was inspired by the shaker bench I made the drawers the sizes that fit my needs. I like to keep the tools I use at the bench, and things I do not use as often at the bench I put on the back side. There is some duplication though like hammers and chisels.

Anyway the leg screw hardware, although I can spin it with a finger, does not spin like the vise hardware from Bench Crafted, the cost of the screw was $2 at an auction and that off sets that inconvenience. I don't remember the cost of the three long bolts I used for pins. I got them long enough to cut the heads and threads off. . The wagon vise hardware is actually a vise screw for a shoulder vise and it came from Lee Valley. I waited for a free Shipping deal. If I remember correctly it was about $29.

Anyway pictures, the first two are when I did my research and development on the cris-cross.

And the rest are the pictures of the present and not yet completed bench. I want to note that the leg vise does not go all the way to the floor and that a broom fits under it nicely. Also the vise hardware is not yet fastened to the chop. and the piece of cherry leaning against the bench is for the sliding board jack. I need to complete the top and board jacks to have a finished bench. The holdfasts are made from car tire irons and I supplied the iron and another 8 to get my 3 made.

369917 369918 369919 369920

Stew Denton
10-18-2017, 10:23 PM
Tom,

Your bench is coming along beautifully. Your craftsmanship is impressive, and the holdfasts look really great.

I had wondered what was up with your bench since not seeing anything on it, and now am wanting to go look at the jigs and fixtures. (Still wish you were flattening planes.)

Good job on the bench, and I also can relate what you mentioned about being harder to get down on hands and knees.

Stew

James Pallas
10-19-2017, 7:35 AM
Very nice Tom. I like to see things that people make to fit themselves and how they work. Every time you use that bench and the way you have it set up for you should make you happy. I really like the idea of the different sides for different uses.
Jim

Tom Bussey
10-20-2017, 9:03 AM
Since I posted about the back side I thought I would show as much of the front as I can.

The first picture is of me taking the not completed shoulder vise for a spin. Someone, a while back said they didn't like a shoulder vise for cutting dovetails because a person had to stand to far back from the work because of the length of the screw. I had a different bench at the time and I checked out his comment. and I decided I could live with a smaller clamping area so I shortened the screw 2 1/2 inches. One ever knows what they can pick up in a forum if one keeps an open mind. I could have thought mine works fine and moved on. Or even disagreed with him. Anyway personally I do prefer a shoulder vise over some of the others and I really like it 2 1/2 inches shorter.

I also had trouble seeing what was in the drawer directly under the screw and making the vise shorter helped that also. Although the drawer are full extension the top drawer still is a little difficult so I arranged the drawer to hold my chisels, each one its own spot and that solved the seeing problem. I only had it on the left side top drawer.

The others are of the top being constructed. And so one can get an idea of the size of the bench, the right side drawers are 27 inches wide.

370035 370036

Tom Bussey
10-21-2017, 7:20 PM
Actually I am quite surprised that that there are not a lot more questions about the crisscross. My top is made out of Hickory and so is my crisscross as well as my bench dogs will be, so the cost was all but non existent except for the 3 bolts and 3 small screws to lock the pins in place..

Frederick Skelly
10-21-2017, 7:50 PM
That's a really nice bench Tom! Hickory? Holy moly, that stuff is HARD. That top should hold up for a mighty long time.

Please tell us about the holdfasts. You said you used tire irons and sounds like you had someone make holdfasts from them. What made you decide to make them vs buy them? Was it just less expensive or some other reason?

I'd be interested in hearing more about building the criss cross, too.

Fred

Patrick McCarthy
10-22-2017, 10:46 AM
Actually, I did a double take when I saw the Criss-cross were made of wood, but upon reflection thought “why not?” As they don’t really need to support all that much weight.

Tom Bussey
10-22-2017, 8:26 PM
I used hickory for the top of my bench because I had a pile of it that I bought at an auction and didn't know what else to use it for. Hickory soon became one of my least favorite woods. I had wood from two different, reliable wood supplier, that was straight and true, set around for a couple of weeks and then go bonkers when I ripped into strips. To make things short I have no plans to ever work with it again.

Having said that. I did find that having a really freshly sharp blade in a hand plane, and having it set for a very fine cut that the hickory really wasn't that hard to work. It is very grain sensitive and one has to pay attention to the grain because it is prone to chip out. I also found out that I could take a deeper cut with my drum sander with hickory that I could with any other type of wood. It really sands nicely. Now I did stop at the local cabinet shop to find out if they had any Hickory. They didn't but he ordered what I wanted for me. I came in along with his order and His was big enough there was no delivery charge and I just had to pay his actual cost. He became interested in my project and is going to run it through their 56 inch wide belt sander for nothing..

Anyway my top is a split top with a tool tray in the middle And the tops not only have to be flat but also the same thickness so like my last bench I knew I was going to have to get it sanded. The last time I had to pay for it to be sanded but now it is under new management so free is a real blessing.

I wouldn't recommend making a top out of Hickory. I have made tops out of hard maple, beach, and now hickory and Hard maple would be my first choice, as well as being less expensive per board foot.

As far as the criss-cross the first ones were also made out of wood. The pieces are 15/16 of an inch thick and 1 1/2 inches wide. And off the top of my head I do not know how long/ I know that the clamping pressure is applied at 4 points equally And if a person feels that the criss cross needs tope cast iron then there is always Bench Crafted. It has held up to everything I have thrown at it as of yet. I do plan on starting another post about clamping forces from a production point of view in a couple of days.

Frederick Skelly
10-22-2017, 8:45 PM
Great tale about hickory!

What about the holdfasts - what made you decide to make your own instead of buying some? (Grammercy sells 2 for $40 and they are very effective for most people. So I wondered.....)

Fred