PDA

View Full Version : I have entered the 21st century.

Matthew Curtis
10-16-2017, 7:18 PM
I have recently upgraded my old flip phone and got a "smart" phone. I was wondering what apps everyone is using in the shop.

Brandon Conover
10-16-2017, 7:21 PM
Ha, nice. Only one I use for shop related activities is the Dewalt Mobile Pro calculator app. I'm sure there are other options that do the same thing but I've had it for years and it does what I need it to

Bill Adamsen
10-16-2017, 7:41 PM
Decibel 10th, and Darkstar (helps me make good choices about keeping from getting stuff wet).

Jim Becker
10-16-2017, 7:51 PM
I occasionally use the calculator app...and frequently use iMessage to communicate to anyone in the house. :) And, of course, the camera app gets a LOT of use. But that's about it.

Warren Lake
10-16-2017, 7:53 PM
Whats an app? dont have a cell phone but when I do it will be a shoe phone

Jim Becker
10-16-2017, 7:55 PM

"App" stands for application...a computer program.

Mike Henderson
10-16-2017, 8:16 PM
I use the music app to listen to music and radio stations. I use my bank's app to do banking, and have an app for each credit card I have. I use the "messages" app to text, and the calendar app to keep track of appointments. I use google maps to navigate and to check traffic and Google Chrome to browse the web. I use Apple's email client and telephone app. I have an app to control my hearing aids. My wife and I can find each other with "find my friends". I used "contacts" to keep the phone numbers and email addresses of friends. I have two weather apps. Other apps are Wikipedia, Zillow, PayPal, eBay, Amazon, various news apps, and a bunch of others that I use less frequently. And that's just the first two pages on my iPhone - I have nine pages of apps.

Mike

[Oops, you said "in the shop". I missed that when I responded. Sorry]

Art Moore
10-16-2017, 10:05 PM
I mainly use a Fractional Calculator and a Bubble Level/Angle Finder app.

Matt Day
10-16-2017, 10:13 PM
In the shop I use YouTube, pandora, npr One, podcasts, BoardFeetEasy (bdft calc), MyRadar, and I’m installing a light meter now. Occasionally i’ll Use the surface and spirit level too.

jack forsberg
10-16-2017, 10:15 PM
Always had the hots for agent 99

Tim Janssen
10-16-2017, 10:27 PM
Always had the hots for agent 99

LOL, You're dating yourself.

jack forsberg
10-16-2017, 11:23 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8b9PH55EtJI

Mike Kees
10-17-2017, 1:50 AM
I use the construction master app,its the same as the calculator that I have had for years. Mathematical problems in feet and inches or metric.

Ben Rivel
10-17-2017, 4:53 AM
CutList Plus app to go with the CutList Plus software. LINK (https://cutlistplus.com/)

Nick Decker
10-17-2017, 6:14 AM
Fractional Calculator.

Ted Phillips
10-17-2017, 10:13 AM
I keep a board foot calculator and a fractional calculator handy (there are several good calc apps out there). The Wood Whisperer has a nice app - and it is useful if you are a guild member.

There are a *lot* of junk apps out there that say they display project plans, identify wood types, and other stuff. 99% of them are the smartphone equivalent of junk mail.

Mike Ontko
10-17-2017, 10:35 AM
I have a Samsung Android based smart phone. In the shop I mainly use the calculator and camera apps, YouTube and Pinterest for access to how-to videos and design idea pics, and Pandora and Poweramp for music that I play through a Bluetooth connected speaker. But possibly the best 'app' in the shop is the pencil and legal note pad (i.e., a paper note pad) that I keep on or next to the workbench for making sketches and rough diagrams with measurements and notes.

Dave Cullen
10-17-2017, 4:00 PM
My favorite app is buffalo wings. My flip-fone doesn't do them.

Jim Tobias
10-17-2017, 5:13 PM
Samsung Android phone here. From the play store I have: Golden Ratio Calculator, Handyman Calculator, Metrics Conversion, Time recording,Woodworking Utilities.
Jim

Brian W Evans
10-17-2017, 6:59 PM
I have a Bosch laser measure and I use the app that goes with it. Pretty neat how it works. I also use a unit converter. Mainly, though, I just plug my phone into the stereo and listen to Pandora stations while I work.

Steve Demuth
10-17-2017, 9:29 PM
I spend 60+ hours a week worrying about computer infrastructure, software, communications and security. I am allergic to anything remote resembling electronic technology in the shop as a result. The one exception is the Amazon Echo my kids gave me for Christmas, which I use solely as a convenient way of hands-free listening to books on tape. I plan to ditch my smart phone (a work necessity) the day after I retire, but if I don't, I can imagine by the time I have been out of the tech business for 3 or so years, I might consider putting a woodworking app on it.