PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this? Warning-Disgusting contents

Wade Lippman
10-16-2017, 1:13 PM
I bought a house 5 years ago. About once a year I have to take my bathroom sink drain apart and clean it. My wife's is fine.
At first I thought it might be from cleaning my electric razor into the sink, so I stopped; but it hasn't helped.
All that goes down it is toothpaste and fluoride rinse, and it goes down my wife's also.

Its like a combination of rotted vegetation and cheese.

Hey, I warned you that it was disgusting.

Bob Bouis
10-16-2017, 1:23 PM
It's probably bacteria. They're eating something you put down the sink.

Try pouring bleach down the sink every once in a while. Maybe your wife cleans her sink more often. Hah!

Bill Orbine
10-16-2017, 1:52 PM
Maybe you need to run the water a bit more each time to wash down the stuff you put into the sink.

Al Launier
10-16-2017, 2:36 PM
Bob is correct - bateria occasionally run into that as well & treat it with 16 oz. Liquid Plumber or Drano at the first hint of water not draining quickly.

Mike Wilkins
10-16-2017, 2:41 PM
Bacteria loves dark, moist places. Or this is an alien experiment site. Never know what those UFO's are doing.
We have been using bleach on a regular basis for years.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2017, 2:42 PM
It could also be soaps condensing on the cooler pipe.

Soaps that "soften" the skin, often have oils in them. Oils can condense in drain lines. My wife loves to pour oil she's deep fried with down the kitchen sink drain. I often will immediately follow it with a sink full of hot soapy water to decrease the chance of oils condensing inside the drain lines. I am especially concerned about it in the winter time in our new kitchen addition.

Wade Lippman
10-16-2017, 3:50 PM
It is true that she keeps hers clean and I don't bother. Perhaps the extra cleaner and water prevents the build up.

Mac McQuinn
10-16-2017, 4:00 PM
Appears to be a shaving gel mixed with soap after the fact.
Mac

Stan Calow
10-16-2017, 5:06 PM
I see the same stuff.

Jim Becker
10-16-2017, 7:40 PM
Believe it or not, toothpaste and the like can coagulate and become a breeding ground for interesting flora/fauna. I have to clean the push-to-open/close stoppers on our bathroom sinks periodically as this stuff builds up between the metal and the rubber gasket all the time.

Brad Adams
10-16-2017, 7:58 PM
My wife loves to pour oil she's deep fried with down the kitchen sink drain.

As a plumber I have spent many hours on kitchen drains opening them up after grease is poured down. It really is a bad idea to do that. It is even worse if you are on a septic system.

Ed Aumiller
10-16-2017, 10:30 PM
One of the biggest problems I have with drains in rentals is that a lot of folks use "GEL" soaps, shaving cream, etc...
Anything with "gel" in it will clog drain pipes, septic pipes, etc...
Replaced too many pipes because renters will not stop using "gel" products...
Try eliminating anything you use, especially hand cleaners that are "gel" based...

Rich Engelhardt
10-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Dump in some baking soda. Follow that by pouring some cleaning vinegar (the cheap bulk stuff) into the drain.
Cover it with a damp cloth and let it sit a few hours.
Repeat as needed.

Once a month will keep the drain running clear.

I have no idea what it is - but - we get the same goo in our sink.

Bob Bouis
10-19-2017, 11:26 AM
It is true that she keeps hers clean and I don't bother. Perhaps the extra cleaner and water prevents the build up.

Yeah. I think just washing bleach-containing cleaners down on a regular basis keeps it under control.

Larry Edgerton
10-22-2017, 10:56 AM
My wife makes tea quite often. I got her to boil a little more water each time and pour the remaining down the bath sink two or so times a week. Had the same issue, no more problems since.