PDA

View Full Version : Woodworker's Paint Sprayer

Al Launier
10-16-2017, 11:58 AM
I want to purchase a paint sprayer for my woodworking projects – tired of rattle cans that sputter & drip despite best efforts to hold the can upright. So, I’m trying to decide between an airless and a HVLP system.
Although I have a Craftsman 33 gal/150 PSI compressor (oiless & no water removal), I’m inclined to think an electric/airless system would better suit my applications which are projects that typically would fit within a 12” cube. The sprayer would have to be able to apply a fine coating of the paints/stains/top coats/polyurethane finishes typically used in hobbyist woodworking. I’m not looking to apply paint quickly, just a nice finish - I’m good with several light coats.
I was thinking of a HomeRight C800971 Super Finish Max Extra Fine HVLP Sprayer which is advertised as an “airless/HVLP” system. I’m planning also to get a HomeRight Spray Shelter 8.5 ft. x 6 ft. placed on a large tarp in my garage. This will avoid having to lay down drop cloths & newspapers in my shop (nuisance!) which is not ventilated & it’s next to a finished lower level which keeps my wife on edge.
Yet, with absolutely no experience with either type of sprayer system I’m wondering if any of you have experience with this sprayer, or can recommend a more appropriate sprayer. I realize I may be limiting my choices as this would be a gift from my daughter (gift card) to add to my Woodworking scope.
I’ve searched this forum for information, but most of it is old, or doesn’t apply to my needs. So, I’m wondering what you would recommend.

Bill Adamsen
10-16-2017, 1:30 PM
Al:

You might try the Project Finishing (http://sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?23-Project-Finishing) forum here for more ideas. I have recently been using an HVLP with waterborne products. Moving to waterborne I had no idea what gun to get, knowing only that I wanted something with a range of tip sizes for different viscosities and stainless components to avoid corrosion. Someone here pointed me to Homestead Finishing and Jeff helped me select the right gun. It works fantastically well on a variety of finishes and I haven't yet begun to explore its versatility. He recommended something I would have never thought of on my own, a PPS system, which makes cleanup easier and actually allows holding the spray gun in any direction (upside down) which is fantastic. A call to Jeff couldn't hurt you in your search.

I see they moved this to the finishing forum. My unit (the unit referenced above) is the Qualspray 6008. It requires a fair volume of air ... what is best for you might be completely different. Jeff can help with ideas.

Al Launier
10-16-2017, 2:21 PM
Thanks Bill, great feedback! Something for me to check into for sure.

ken seale
10-16-2017, 2:27 PM
What in the world does "”" mean? OP mentioned it 10 times in post.

Avinash Arora
10-16-2017, 2:35 PM

It would appear that OP copied some HTML formatting over, that's an HTML shortcode for a single quote '

So I’m if read by an html reader would appear as I'm

But posting it in the thread as text, it gets recoded so it appears as ’ instead of '

There's an html code for every non-letter character. Like   is a space.

Al Launier
10-16-2017, 3:11 PM

Sorry, didn't realize that happened. I wrote & copied it from Microsoft Word. It looked OK when I saved the post, but didn't check it out. I just tried editing it & it seems to work OK this time

Travis Porter
10-16-2017, 7:05 PM
Sorry, but I have no experience with that unit. If you have a compressor, you might start with a small gravity fed help gun, which is how I started. It was around $50 and does a good job for small projects and is fairly easy to clean up.

Al Launier
10-17-2017, 11:33 AM
Sorry, but I have no experience with that unit. If you have a compressor, you might start with a small gravity fed help gun, which is how I started. It was around $50 and does a good job for small projects and is fairly easy to clean up.
Travis, what did you do to eliminate the water from your compressor when painting?

Travis Porter
10-17-2017, 5:08 PM
I bought an in-line desiccant filter from the BORG.