PDA

View Full Version : Metal Name Plate Help

David Sabot
11-02-2005, 1:05 PM
I purchased some Alumamark nameplates from Laser Bits that were nice, but they were rather thin, .020" and had no mounting screws or nails. Does anybody know a good source of metal nameplates that have adhesive on the back so my customers can mount them on the product themselves? Below are samples of the plates I am looking for
http://www.premiumhumidors.com/images/Cigar_Humidor_Images/NotchNP2.jpg

Joe Pelonio
11-02-2005, 1:35 PM
Try laserlights from Rowmark, it's only .004 but you can vector cut it to that shape and it has adhesive already on it. Otherwise you can vector cut the 3m laminating film (comes in sheets) to that shape and apply one side, they can peel and stick the other side to install.

Lee DeRaud
11-02-2005, 1:40 PM
I have no idea if it's the same stuff Joe mentioned or where to get it retail, but 3M makes something called "468MP Hi Performance Adhesive". It's the pressure-sensitive adhesive used on the back of the self-stick veneer Rockler sells. Put a plate on with that, and it will stay stuck.

David Sabot
11-02-2005, 1:58 PM
Joe,

Thanks for the ideas. I was looking to stay away from Plastic as the smell is enough to kill ya. I like the Alumamark product, since it doesn't require Cermark, but I am not opposed to using a brass plaque and Cermark. Interesting idea vector cutting the laminating film, something I hadn't thought of. Just thought there was already an all in 1 solution available.

Joe Pelonio
11-02-2005, 2:03 PM
Yes, that's the 3m product I meant, actually 467MP. If you have to resort to Cermark this place has that shape with holes in them: www.artisan-es.com
in several finishes & sizes from $0.19 but you have to get 100.

David Sabot
11-02-2005, 2:55 PM
I found a place called Engraving Specialties in Wisconissin. They said they have some lead engravers brass, or something similar. They are sending samples, with adhesive on them already. Can I just throw these in my 25 watt machine, or do I still need cermark?

Joe Pelonio
11-02-2005, 3:48 PM
You'll have to use Cermark. The alumamark has a cermark-like coating on it already. What you are ordering the sample of cannot be engraved by laser,
without cermark.

If it has any clear over it the cermark won't stick. Check this for more info:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25414&highlight=cermark

Mike Mackenzie
11-02-2005, 5:49 PM
David,

If its brass cermark will not stick to it.

David Sabot
11-02-2005, 6:16 PM
What would be a good metal for Cermark to stick to that is gold in color?

Joe Pelonio
11-02-2005, 6:50 PM
Mike,

According to Ferro their LMM6000 and LMC6038 both stick to brass, though I've never tried it. I've used it only on stainless and aluminum
so far. Have you tried it on brass and it failed? If so I'd like to try it,
and complain about their advertising and web site info being wrong
if it doesn't work.

Frank Ross
11-02-2005, 7:43 PM
Try Bur-lane.com. They have black coated laserable brass and will cut to your specs. But check quantity pricing, your per item price will vary drastically, (for 20 of what I wanted it was about $2.00 each, for 100 it was $0.85, so now I have stock on hand). It works great. I just tried the website and it's having problems, but you can get the contact numbers. They also have the double sided tape, and I have not had any problems with it. Good Luck!

Barbara Buhse
11-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Hey... try Tropar Mfg. (www.airflyte.com (http://www.airflyte.com)) 973-822-2400
They have all types of plates, engraveables too, and many have adhesive backs.

Barbara

Mike Mackenzie
11-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Joe,

We have been working with ferro for a long time and we have never had any luck with any of there cermark and BRASS especially with a 25 watt laser. We have tried with everything from 25-150 watts. If you can get it to stick to completely raw brass and expose it to weather then the material will tarnish very quickly and as soon as you polish it the mark will come off. Most Leaded brass has a clear coat applied to keep the brass from tarnishing. I suppose you could get completely raw brass apply cermark, laser using a minimum of 50 watts and then apply a clear sealer of some sort.

That seems to me to be a lot of work especially when you could just route it and paint fill and be done with it.

Michael McDuffie
11-03-2005, 2:54 PM
I've done hundreds of these in both brass and aluminum. I do have to hit them rather hard to get it to stick. If there is a mistake, the Cemark has to be sanded off on a metal working lathe.

I use 100% power and 25% speed for both with my Epilog 70W Legend 24. The customer does all of his polishing first, then we cermark them. He cuts the rings at the solid line, which is not right on this sample due to some flaw in the epilog rotary fixture. Long pieces match up fine but short ones will have this offset. He does a light polish with Brasso then clear coats them with Polane (sp?).

Also, we just learned that we have been putting to much on. I would put enough on that it was the color of the cermark over the entire area. We have learned that a thin coat that doesn't have any "sparkle" is enough, even if it turns that rather nasty looking black color.

He charges $600 to over $2000 for these things and is fussy about the finish.

Michael

James Stokes
11-03-2005, 6:25 PM
I engrave a lot of stainless with ceramark, Have not tried brass. I have found that a VERY light coat is all it takes. I have a LOT of sparkle left but my engraving turns out great.

George M. Perzel
11-03-2005, 6:36 PM
Mike;
What are those things used for ? Thanks
George

Michael McDuffie
11-03-2005, 6:59 PM
They are the code rings for Cryptex (tm) security boxes. I've done all of the engraving for Justin.

cryptex.org

Michael McDuffie
11-03-2005, 7:04 PM
David, in response to your original question, use double sided tape to mount your items.
Try www.innotape.com
Don't know if they are the best or cheapest but I do have their catalog.

Michael

Lee DeRaud
11-03-2005, 7:32 PM
They are the code rings for Cryptex (tm) security boxes. I've done all of the engraving for Justin.They are quite beautiful.

That said, am I the only one who has a problem with the concept of a "security box" that is (1) highly portable and (2) probably costs more than its contents?:p

Michael McDuffie
11-03-2005, 7:36 PM
They come from the Dan Brown book, The Da Vinci Code. I think you have to be somewhat eccentric to need one at those prices. They are very nice and he puts a lot of heart and soul into each one but the only reason I have one is because he gave it to me;)

Michael