PDA

View Full Version : Steve Voigt in PopWood Mag

James Waldron
10-13-2017, 7:36 PM
Our very own Steve has a full 10 pages in the latest PopWood Mag, making a coffin smoother. Just came in today's mail; just had time to scan. There's a lot in there and I'll have to go back to it for more detail. The bits I did read are very well written, so I assume it was thoroughly edited :rolleyes: before publication.

Well done, Steve!

Frederick Skelly
10-13-2017, 7:44 PM
Thanks Jim. I'll go buy a copy.

Congratulations Steve!!!!!

Patrick Chase
10-13-2017, 9:52 PM
It's an exceptional article, though very "dense" as he's covering a number of somewhat specialized techniques in relatively few pages. It all made sense to me, but I knew a fair bit of it beforehand from other sources (including Steve's posts on various fora) as I'm currently researching the topic.

It's truly a relief to see a project for something other than laminated/Krenov planes.

Mike Brady
10-14-2017, 6:25 PM
Are there no modern sources for the double-iron arrangement for Steve's project plane?

Nicholas Lawrence
10-14-2017, 6:35 PM
I think Steve has to have them custom made.

Patrick Chase
10-14-2017, 7:11 PM
I think Steve has to have them custom made.

Right, his are custom made by Lee Valley.

Steve Voigt
10-15-2017, 10:49 AM
Thanks Jim, Fred, and Patrick for the comments, much appreciated.

Are there no modern sources for the double-iron arrangement for Steve's project plane?

Mike, Dan Schwank (Red Rose Reproductions) is starting to sell tapered slotted irons, but you'll need to find a vintage cap iron or make your own. Dan is mulling the idea of making the cap irons as well, so keep an eye on his site.

Mike Brady
10-15-2017, 11:09 AM
Thanks Steve. I will look into your suggestions.
Your article is very well done. Congrats on that!
I need to go through my odd parts box and see if I have a pair. I also have some dry beech in the wood racks, however my prior attempts at plane making did not have happy endings.

steven c newman
10-15-2017, 12:02 PM
I MIGHT know where there are two narrow, old double irons are.....I am not having much luck rehabbing the old wood bodies.....Goldenberg irons.

Jim Koepke
10-15-2017, 1:28 PM
Seeing this thread has me looking forward to reading the article. My copy showed up yesterday. My time has been consumed of late by among other things starting in on trying to sell a home in California. Of yet haven't had enough time to crack open the magazine other than while lying in bed and falling asleep.

jtk