PDA

View Full Version : Planer & Pressure Treated Wood

George Bokros
10-13-2017, 5:48 PM
Would you run pressure treated wood through your planer? This pressure treated has been kiln dried after treatment. The reason I ask is I need to reduce the thickness of a piece of 6/4 decking about 1/16'

Thanks

John R Green
10-13-2017, 6:40 PM
George

Do it all the time on 15" Powermatic with Helical Head.
Wet PT is messy.
KDAT not so bad.
When done I pop the top and clean with toothbrush and mineral spirits
No problem

George Bokros
10-13-2017, 7:23 PM
George

Do it all the time on 15" Powermatic with Helical Head.
Wet PT is messy.
KDAT not so bad.
When done I pop the top and clean with toothbrush and mineral spirits
No problem

Sounds like a messy clean up. This pressure treat is not KDAT it is KDHT-- Kiln dried and heat treated for insects.

Robert Hayward
10-13-2017, 8:11 PM
I have done a good bit of KDAT with my Dewalt 735. Did not work any different than any other Southern Yellow Pine in my opinion.

keith micinski
10-13-2017, 10:39 PM
The problem isn't actually planing the wood its leaving that wet dust and chemicals sitting on the inside of the Planer. You should run a few regular boards through it after your done

Steve Demuth
10-13-2017, 11:08 PM
The problem isn't actually planing the wood its leaving that wet dust and chemicals sitting on the inside of the Planer. You should run a few regular boards through it after your done

That, and making sure you get all the iron out before you plane it - those darned staples they put in construction lumber are hard on knives.

Keith Outten
10-14-2017, 11:47 AM
My experience planning pine and especially pressure treated wood is that they are hard on planer knives. The resin in pine eats the edge up real quick.

Bill Dufour
10-14-2017, 7:13 PM
I would empty your dust collector before and after planing PT. You do not want to breathe the dust or add it to the garden.
Bill