PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with these Longleaf timbers?

kent wardecke
10-12-2017, 9:47 PM
Here in Dayton I'm having a time with y'all's technology.
My neighbor gave me this pile of timbers a year ago and I need to do something with them. I believe they came out of an old industrial building and were sold as construction timbers. The only marking beside some fading white paint was .com/longleaf. The wood is 14' long and there are about 30 pieces equally split with 6"x12"s and 8"x12". there is some rotting but if you cut into it it's pretty solid about 1/16" under the surface. I found a guy in Tipp City OH who will cut them on his Woodmizer for $.25/bdft. I have to deliver and pick up. There are guys who will set up and cut here but I think it will take them 2 or 3 days and paying their trip charge each day could get expensive.
My question. Cut them all into 1"x12"s? some 8/4? since the dogs holding the log are 1 1/4" should I have him dress the last board as a 2"x12"?
Nails everywhere although our metal detector did a really go job of picking them up. I just need to take a pliers and a chisel and dig the nails out

Danny Hamsley
10-15-2017, 7:59 AM
I would saw them at 5/4 or 6/4. That means 1 3/8" thick rough for the 5/4 and 1 5/8" thick rough for the 6/4. The reason is that farm tables are very popular now, and you may have a lot of heartwood that would make nice table tops.