PDA

View Full Version : Clamps, clamps, clamps...so many clamps...

Tim M Tuttle
10-12-2017, 2:44 PM
Afternoon Creekers,

Getting into woodworking can be quite intimidating in many aspects. Where to buy the wood? What wood to buy? What tools? etc. I am early in my woodworking journey and have waded through the muck to compile a pretty good selection of tools and supplies. Probably more than I need but I tend to be one that doesnt like to have to get creative on how to do something. I'd rather pay money for a tool designed to do a specific thing. Anyway, one thing I havent gotten my head around is clamps.

When I first started out I knew I would need clamps and a lot of them. I had heard good things about Harbor Freight's clamp selection so I took a trip there one day and bought probably 30 clamps of various styles and sizes. Upon starting to use them I realized I made some mistakes in my selection. F style clamps are great and probably my most used clamps but buying a bunch of the 36" and 48" variety proved unwise, especially from Harbor Freight (they flex A LOT).

The biggest issue with clamps is that they are freaking expensive. I can't tell you how many times I have sat in Home Depot, Lowes, Woodcraft, etc and stared at clamps with the intention of buying a few only to walk away with nothing for the fear of making a bad purchase.

I should go ahead and get to my point of this post...what does everyone recommend as far as clamps go? I'd love to hear the preferred style of clamps for <12", <24", etc. Bar clamps, pipe clamps, f style, c, parallel...the list goes on and on. I'd love to get a feel for what everyone recommends for various tasks requiring clamps.

Seems to me that you really cant have enough of the 12" or so f style clamps. I have done quite a few laminations and those come in super handy and you can run through 20 of them in a heartbeat. I recently came across this four pack at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-Clutch-Clamp-Set-4-Piece-GSCC4PK/205086977 Seemed like a pretty good price so I picked up a couple.

Thanks

scott vroom
10-12-2017, 2:59 PM
I use pipe clamps for 99% of my work (mostly FF cabinets). I have 60 of them ranging from 18" to 72". Prefer Jorg. Pony brand, tried a few Bessy pipe clamps and found the springs way to stiff making them virtually unusable for me.

Cary Falk
10-12-2017, 3:13 PM
I started off with pipe clamps. Since I got into parallel clamps the pipe clamps are unused unless I need to connect some for a long clamp. I don't have any f clamps. I do have quite a few of the large Irwin quick grip clamps of varying length. I bought them when HD was closing them out.

Jake Elkins
10-12-2017, 3:13 PM
Yeah, I basically started from scratch regarding clamps, too. I started with pipe clamps, which were fairly inexpensive, and can do basically any clamping job. I also got a few F-clamps, which became my usual go-to clamp, I now have about 20-30 of those, in 6, 8, 12, 24 lengths. These serve me well for the majority of what I need to do. Along the years, I picked up several parallel clamps, which are great when you need them, but overkill for most jobs. Don't forget some handscrews, and learn how to use them. They are very versatile and can get you out of trouble. I have found the squeeze-grip clamps and similar light-duty clamps to be almost useless

Osvaldo Cristo
10-12-2017, 3:14 PM
Afternoon Creekers,

[...]
...what does everyone recommend as far as clamps go?
[...]

Thanks

Question number one is what are you looking for in woodworking. There are complete different demands if you have different focus, as an example, if you are working with small decorative wood box construction or full size colonial style furniture, the clamping needs will be quite different.

Question number two is about your working style. For many cases I prefer to use hidden screws to effectively clamp my work while glue sets but again, it is a working/design style issue with different demand for clamps. If you prefer go to step by step waiting for glue to set or you prefer to go at one single time mounting multiple units (can you imagine the number of clamps necessary for half dozen chairs?).

Question number three is your budget.

Question number four is operation. Parallel clamps are great, but extreme expensive, big and heavy. Some people do not like pipe clamps. Usually some kind of quick release is welcome but it sometimes present a compromise on the clamp effectiveness. You have to discover what is the best for for you, or more precisely, what kind of trade off is acceptable to you.

Personally I am something minimalist for my wood working. I have mounted lots of stuff using only the "clamp" I can get from the lateral vise from my workbench and some dogs. I have used a lot of times my four Merle clamps for frames, boxes and stuff related to cabinet making - each of them can replace lots of "conventional" clamps although they are not so easy to use if you are in a hurry. I also have four 24" and four 6" AmericanTools ViseGrip as well a few 60" pipe clamp (3/4-in pipe). I also use frequently a couple of 4" F-clamp and rarely I use four C-clamps (2" and 4"). All of them I purchased in the beginning of the 1990s. Later I added some spring clamps I use a lot for miscellaneous applications, not necessary to clamp wood pieces together.

Honestly I would like to add a lot of more clamps but my actual use have refrainned myself from that!

My suggestion is just to start small and develop your projects... an incremental approach. I guess themselves will taught you the best clamp set is required for your needs.

Good luck!

(the small clamp rack bellow support virtually all my clamps - at the picture is missing some pipe clamps and my six 4.5-in all metal spring clamps I was using in a project)

Jacob Mac
10-12-2017, 3:18 PM
I would buy clamps and tools on an as needed basis for the most part. I have some parallel clamps, but mostly bar clamps.

Steve Peterson
10-12-2017, 3:43 PM
The type of clamps that work best for you depend on the type of work that you do.

If you are a cabinet maker, then you might want an assortment of 24", 36", and 48" parallel clamps plus a few pipe clamps for longer items.

Most of my work is smaller and my primary clamp is the Irwin quick clamp. They are a great single hand clamp that is easy to release when needed. I try to find the packages with 2 6" and 2 12" clamps at HD or Lowes for around $20-25.

Nick Decker
10-12-2017, 3:46 PM
Agree with the "as needed basis" part. Really can't suggest anything without knowing what you'll be building. One man's wall full of parallel clamps is another man's wasted space.

Mike Cutler
10-12-2017, 4:29 PM
I have mostly Jorgenson F-Style clamps, and pipe clamps. Most of mine have come from Home Depot. It's close and they're return policy is pretty easy to deal with.
When I need to do a large panel glue up I use Bow Clamps.

You're going to end up with a lot of clamps eventually. Let the work you do dictate what you buy, and when.

Jared Sankovich
10-12-2017, 4:44 PM
Buy them when they go on sale.

I mostly build cabinets and some furniture. This is my clamp rack from a couple years ago, I've since added 50 or so additional Bessey's of various types and sizes. 99% of my clamps were picked up on sale.

Prashun Patel
10-12-2017, 4:51 PM
I am a big fan of the 12" HF F style clamps. I haven't bought them more than once, but my set works wonderfully at a very good price.

Cabinet clamps are great but heavy and expensive. I have about 8 and that works fine.

I like Bessey's 3/4" pipe clamp heads. These are great for large panel and table glue ups.

Lee Schierer
10-12-2017, 5:25 PM
As a general rule, you always need at least one more clamp than you own to hold your project exactly the way you want to.

Matt Day
10-12-2017, 6:08 PM
Similar to prashun, I like the HF f clamps but I prefer ththe 6” version. 12” is probabaly okay, but anything longer and the bar is all twisted usually.

I also have probably 30 parallel clamps (12-72”) I prefer Jet, most bought on 50% off Black Friday sales), an assortment of Jorgy f clamps from 6-36, and some aluminum bar clamps from Rockler, and a set of 12 bar clamps Veritas sold years ago. Basically, a little bit of everything (except pipe clamps - pipe is expensive!).

marty fretheim
10-12-2017, 6:20 PM
Like previously mentioned it depends what kind of work you do. I bought a bunch of the Jet parallel clamps a few years ago when they had the 50% off sales. Seems that they don't do the half off anymore. They're really good clamps but they are kinda heavy. Recently I purchased some Dubuque aluminum bar clamps. They are about 25 bucks each and so far I am really happy with them. I have some quick clamps and F style clamps as well. I have a few of the HF pipe clamps for when I need a really long clamp and they get the job done just fine.

Darcy Warner
10-12-2017, 7:53 PM
I buy every old Hargrove bar clamp I can get my hands on. Every wetzler clamp I can get my hands on, any colt cam action clamp I can.

andy bessette
10-12-2017, 8:06 PM
I like the no longer available Jorgensen Pony clamps.

Jim Becker
10-12-2017, 8:29 PM
My primary choice has been parallel clamps. I took advantage of a bunch of sale price opportunities years ago and that's paid off in the long run. I have other types, including pipe clamps that I can pull out if I need "more clamps", but I first reach for the parallel jaw clamps for sure.

https://mejo5q-sn3301.files.1drv.com/y4mwCU0f62lZYerZMwrJqmPt4I6j7WsxL73rgLs7v_3WsmvEVY hHUAn_KWtJzdq9BLNPJ_nAZHHCSo1qNatt1651xz0X1cNhMpo_ VJ3bkLmBXVFu2f4k2aQl59c1VSMjip7FF3OuVTDr07jIYaoaY5 lI4yNAiQ11UxeiHYO4K0mDToAWr3gdxBDoVFBfobrucCZZhJo-kkQTbBheJqjNI_PLQ?width=660&height=660&cropmode=none

Eric Schmid
10-12-2017, 8:35 PM
There are ways to reduce the number of clamps required for a given project. One of the more useful is to use curved cauls.

I recently did a large run of face laminations and didn’t use any clamps. Made three sided boxes for the laminations to sit in and used screws through wood blocks on the top to clamp each lamination.

I’ve got a variety of clamps, and bought them as projects required over a period of years; F style, bar, parallel, cam, quick, etc. Each have their place.

Pocket screws are also useful as clamps where the project allows.

Ralph Okonieski
10-12-2017, 8:48 PM
I have a few of eqch style: f, bar, pipe, parallel, quick clamp, spring, c, etc. Not many of each, but a variety of sizes in each to use when their functionality is required. My most often used are the quick clamps for simple holding and parallel for glue ups. They were purchased over many, many years, usually on sale and a few at a time.

glenn bradley
10-12-2017, 8:54 PM
Like others, once I discovered my preferred clamp types I pick them up whenever they are on sale. Discovering your preferred type will involve what you do with them. I prefer clamps without a clutch although I do have several that have them. I kept needing more 24" Bessey K-bodys so every time they were found on sale for a dollar an inch or less I bought a couple.

I also use the heck outta Bessey Uni-Klamps, 12" more than others. They are basically an f-style clamp with headshells that make them parallel clamps. I have a bunch. I also use the heck out of Bessey Mighty Minis that you can pick up at Home Depot for about $5 each.

I also have pipe clamps with are great for longer stuff. they fit in a rack behind a tool box. I only use them now and then but, when you need a pipe clamp, there's nothing like having them around.

Bill Adamsen
10-12-2017, 8:54 PM
I have about 50 Pony spring clamps an the half that number each of large "C" and 12" and 24" "F" clamps. A select set of 48" Jorgensen cabinet clamps and a growing collection of lever boat clamps. I have a large stock on hand of the steel for the bar and make the heads when I get the chance. They're great!

Don Jarvie
10-12-2017, 10:02 PM
I use Besseys parallel clamps and have 4 each of the 24, 36 and 50s. I have a variety of smaller clamps also. If you buy Besseys make sure the parallel ones are from Germany. The China ones are cheap and will bow but under 12" their fine.

Jim Andrew
10-12-2017, 10:23 PM
I only buy on sale. Grizzly has a yearly clamp sale, Menards has clamps on sale occasionally, Harbor freight has clamps on sale when they have the tent sale, and don't forget craigslist. Don't really want to list the number of clamps I have. Wife might read this post.

Darcy Warner
10-12-2017, 10:23 PM
I can't stand parallel clamps.

Tim M Tuttle
10-12-2017, 10:52 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the great info. I was mainly just wanting to see what everyone preferred knowing there would be a wide variety.

The plans for the immediate future are outdoor furniture, cabinets, and larger indoor pieces. Down the road, who knows?

Leo Graywacz
10-12-2017, 11:03 PM
Mostly Pony pipe clamps for me. I don't have a single parallel clamp. Found a great deal on Squeeze clamps at Ocean State Job Lot and got a lot of those. 4-6", 4-18", 20-12", 20-24". Pipe clamps range from 36" to 10'. Got a bunch of Jorgenson squeeze clamps before the company went belly up.

http://www.fototime.com/2436671B791C4AE/large.jpg

Frederick Skelly
10-13-2017, 6:36 AM
Until last year, I always bought a few at a time on sale. Only F-clamps and only on sale. Do that a few times and you can build a nice collection.

I didnt see anyone mention it, but several people suggest ways to stiffen the Harbor Freight bar clamps, including Marty Backe. Link (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?235566-An-easy-upgrade-for-Harbor-Freight-bar-clamps). (I have not tried this.)

Last year, I got carried away and bought 3 types of clamps that were new to me.
* I discovered the Dubuque/Universals and LOVE them. Link (http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/uniclamps.htm). Bought them at The Best Things on Lee Richmond's advice. At the time, his was the best price I found, from a vendor I knew.
* Then, I bought some Jet Parallel clamps on sale. Very heavy duty and when I finally used them, I was really pleased.
* Finally, I found that for small, light work, I like the 18" Bessey Revo Jr clamps. I bought them from HD. Combining these with the Dubuques works well for me. (I do not like the Revo Juniors for heavy work or in lengths greater than 18". YMMV.)

Hope it helps!
Fred

Carl Baker
10-13-2017, 9:20 AM
Most have offered their take on styles already... from my perspective, every project at one point or another has me thinking that I could really use another 2 or 3 of this or that particular clamp.
As for cost, you certainly get what you pay for, unless you go second hand. I have dozens of clamps that I have gotten mostly from estate sales. I am not sure why, but almost without exception, if you find an estate sale with a workshop, there is dusty dark corner with bar and pipe clamps going ignored by everyone else who's there to snatch up power tools. I routinely pick up really old heavy bar and pipe clamps under $10. If they're straight, they are good. Don't be afraid.

Andrew Pitonyak
10-13-2017, 11:07 AM
I would buy clamps and tools on an as needed basis for the most part. I have some parallel clamps, but mostly bar clamps.

+1 on buying on an add-needed basis. You could buy 60 clamps and still not have the one clamp that you need.

The general recommendation is that you buy the tools that you need for a project. I have things that I was sure that I would need in the future..... that I never did use and finally sold after some number of years.

One advantage of pipe clamps is that if you have the clamps, if you need a different length, you can simply buy more pipe.

I purchased a bunch of long pipe clamps on craig's list. A guy was paid to create this long wide table, so he purchased a bunch of pipe clamps. After they sat in his shop unused for a few years (because he did not need to make another) he sold them all to me for a deeply discounted price (good for me).

Prashun Patel
10-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Quickly scanning, I don't see that anyone has mentioned:

I highly recommend making some 'cambered' or curved clamping cauls. For must straight glue ups, these spread clamping pressure along an edge and reduce the number of clamps you require for a glue up. They can also be used to keep panels flat and aligned during glue up. All this is to say, cauls may allow you to get along with fewer clamps than some of the generously-stocked armories you see below.

Brian Henderson
10-13-2017, 3:46 PM
I've got a ton of various kinds of clamps and, since I'm working out the details of a new clamp rack, figured I should leave room for more. I have never just bought clamps, just to buy them, if I need them, I get them to fit the current project. That means I have tons of pipe clamps, f-clamps, parallel clamps, spring clamps, plus a whole mess of specialty clamps that I've picked up over the years for various projects. This isn't a race. You have time. Get what you need and, on rare occasion, what's on sale that you know you'll need down the road. There are plenty of alternative solutions for clamping too, as others have said. Just be creative.

andy bessette
10-13-2017, 4:13 PM
Though I have clamps stored at various work stations throughout the shop, most are stored against this one wall.

https://s26.postimg.org/w2rsc5m89/shop-7.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Jim Becker
10-13-2017, 4:47 PM
Quickly scanning, I don't see that anyone has mentioned:

I highly recommend making some 'cambered' or curved clamping cauls. For must straight glue ups, these spread clamping pressure along an edge and reduce the number of clamps you require for a glue up. They can also be used to keep panels flat and aligned during glue up. All this is to say, cauls may allow you to get along with fewer clamps than some of the generously-stocked armories you see below.

I agree...they are indispensable when gluing up panels for keeping things flat. I happen to use Bowclamps, but it's possible to make them in the shop, too.

Dennis McCullen
01-22-2019, 7:52 AM
Jorgensen is back! Comment on the thread and a product review. Read to the end. Yes there's a wide variety available and sometimes needed. I bought quite a few 4-pks of Irwin quick-grip mini clamps when ACE hardware ran them on sale for half price near Christmas a few years ago. I own a lot of the f-style in varying lengths from harbor freight, mostly 6" and 12". I bought a half dozen of the HF sash clamps (aluminum bar) and stiffened them a little with a wood insert (Paul Sellers style). I have always owned some pipe clamps for the really long needs and even have (4) 48" Bessey parallel clamps (half price , used). ALSO - I subscribe to the theory that your work should be accurate enough to not demand really high clamping pressure. I recently bought a 4 pk of quick grip clamps with the Jorgensen brand on them. (I do not know who owns the name these days). The Jorgensens 4-pk (2@6", 2@12") clamps are from Lowe's and currently on clearance for $15. I did not need them having so many Irwins that work fine, but I was interested in the spreading feature, which I occasionally need. An additional bonus, once I got them home, I realized they were designed with dovetail ends so you can join two clamps together for a longer clamp. By their design, two twelve inch clamps joined ended up giving me a 28" capacity. I'd prefer a 30" bar clamp for that size glue up, but these seem like good clamps, have good reviews by many users, and are as versatile as any small quick clamp I've seen. I used them simply as single quick grip clamps and thought they did fine. I built four 2 pc. clamp stands 45" long and needed four clamps for each so 16 clamps, mostly quick grip style. BTW, this is how DIYers reward themselves; I'd just finished installing a new kitchen sink, faucets, etc.