PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Build

Cory Newman
10-12-2017, 8:42 AM
I don't post here often, more of a lurker but have been recently bitten by the hand tool bug.

In order to pursue this new affliction, I felt a proper work bench was in order first.

I just completed this last night, and I am pleased with how it turned out. I'm curious what the consensus is on leaving it raw or putting some kind of finish on it?

Thanks for looking

Cory369494369495369496369497

ken hatch
10-12-2017, 9:06 AM
Cory,

Nice looking bench. on some views it looks as if the working slab is slightly larger than the off slab. If so good on you, if not, not a big deal. I like the shelf being what appears to be flush with the bottom stretchers, you will find that is a big deal in use. At most do the top with a couple of coats of Danish oil or BLO. Base go for what makes you feel good. Raw works well for the slabs.

BTW, how long was the build?

ken
Builder of many benches over the years, it can become an obsession :p.

Cory Newman
10-12-2017, 9:27 AM
Thanks - I started on January 26 when the benchcrafted hardware arrived. I built the majority of it during the months of February and March, then it sat dormant until this past week when my busy season ended at work and I could get back into the shop to finish the last few details.

Malcolm McLeod
10-12-2017, 9:43 AM
Nice job neighbor! As you could tell from my Feb '17 thread, I couldn't muster the courage to attempt the hounds-tooth dovetails.

Oh, and I'd put 2 coats of BLO.

Andrew Hughes
10-12-2017, 9:51 AM
Looks great Cory, My bench has a maple top.I like flatten the top once a year then I will flood it with 50/50 mineral sprites and spar varnish. I've also just mixed up what ever left over oil finishes.
I thinks it's good to seal up the wood.Since maple can move a lot with weather changes.
Thanks for sharing your bench with us.

Cory Newman
10-12-2017, 9:56 AM
Nice job neighbor! As you could tell from my Feb '17 thread, I couldn't muster the courage to attempt the hounds-tooth dovetails.

It was a pucker moment, and it looks better in pictures than in person, but it was a learning experience.

ken hatch
10-12-2017, 10:20 AM
Thanks - I started on January 26 when the benchcrafted hardware arrived. I built the majority of it during the months of February and March, then it sat dormant until this past week when my busy season ended at work and I could get back into the shop to finish the last few details.

Cory,

Two to three months is a pretty good rate on a complex build like yours if working full time. Good on you. Now to make some furniture.

ken

William Fretwell
10-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Looks very good. An oil finish, my preference is smoking hot BLO applied with tongs and wire wool, will make it look even better. It will slow the flow of moisture in and out of the wood and prolong the life of the bench considerably. It will also resist coffee cup stains! If that's a concrete floor then sealing the leg end grain is important or stand it on a barrier.

Great to have a dog in every hole!

Rick Malakoff
10-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Wow! Great looking bench, if I made something that looked that good I'd haul in the house and call it fine furniture.
My son just moved to McKinney, say's everyone is real friendly.
Rick

Ted Reischl
10-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Nicely done!

I put a coat or two of sanding sealer (thinned shellac) on mine about every six months or so after a light sanding. The shellac works great protecting the top from spills, etc. The only thing is that a finish makes the top downright slippery. I use a sanding mat when sanding. It is something you get used to after a while.

andy bessette
10-12-2017, 1:06 PM
Lovely work Cory.

Jim Koepke
10-12-2017, 3:05 PM
Nice bench Cory.

What ever your favorite finish is better than no finish. Maybe something matt so it isn't as slippery.

jtk

Brian Lefort
10-12-2017, 5:54 PM
I cut off squares from an old trailer tire and nailed them to the bottom of my legs. works great, and grips the concrete to boot!

steven c newman
10-13-2017, 10:50 AM
Bench looks great, a bit too big for my shop, though......LOL

I used what I call a Witch's Brew on mine. Quart can that has all the leftover stains and finishes.....then topped off with BLO. Stir well, brush on, then wipe down.

Bill McNiel
10-14-2017, 2:16 PM
Beautiful work Cory, congratulations! I would definitely put a nice finish on it.

lee cox
10-14-2017, 3:39 PM
I like BLO and beeswax. Use turpentine to melt the beeswax then add BLO. I apply a few coats of only BLO. Then I apply the mixture of Beeswax and BLO and then wipe it off after 20 minutes. On my out feed table I buff the top using one of those cheap car polishers from Walmart which makes it slick. On my workbench I leave it alone or hand wipe so things don't slide too easy.

Jerry Olexa
10-14-2017, 6:01 PM
OIL either BLO or Danish,,,Let it soak in.....Nice job..Looks good

Carl Baker
10-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Good heavens! Thats a beautiful bench!
I finished mine by dripping several different colors of stain on it, added some glue smear, some chisel marks, BLO, 3 in 1, paint thinner and some rusty water. I would take someone elses advice for finishing that one.