PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a news app

Dave Lehnert
10-11-2017, 10:17 PM
Looking for a good national news app.
Sports being at the bottom of the list of must haves.

Matt Day
10-12-2017, 12:48 PM
Npr. Cnn.

————

Matt Meiser
10-12-2017, 12:52 PM
Good luck finding anything that isn't political opinion disguised as news.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-12-2017, 1:12 PM
Hear! Hear!

Alan Rutherford
10-12-2017, 3:50 PM
If by "app" you means something that lives on a cell phone I can't help you but if you're using a computer, check out BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/world/us_and_canada. Reliable and unbiased, IMO.

If you're using Firefox as a browser, you can add a constantly-updated bookmark that shows links to current BBC headlines. That's what I've used for years. Here's how: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/811891 You can probably do something similar with other browsers. There's also a Firefox add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/latest-bbc-news/) that I have not used.

You can probably go to BBC with the browser on a cell phone but compared to a desktop monitor, that seems like doing it the hard way.

Michael Weber
10-12-2017, 4:13 PM
I use BBC news often along with CNN. The Hill (mostly about DC), The Intercept. All may or may not have a bias depending on your viewpoint. I also sometimes look at Breitbart because sometimes you just have to pick at a scab.

Yonak Hawkins
10-12-2017, 6:28 PM

I heard an interesting story just today about how, when the hourly news was just being implemented on radio, by FCC requirement, the unbiased, unvarnished news just couldn't hold anyone's interest. They found if you embellish, sensationalize and add opinion pieces, more listenership. I feel it gave me an acute insight into human awareness characteristics.

Jim Becker
10-12-2017, 8:14 PM

For what computing platform/device?

Dave Lehnert
10-12-2017, 9:22 PM
For what computing platform/device?

Android Smartphone.

Matt Day
10-13-2017, 7:45 AM
NPR One is my go to news app. I could name a few “news’ stations that have an agenda, but I think npr is about as neutral as it gets.

Yonak Hawkins
10-13-2017, 10:32 AM
BBC News is also largely unbiased. Unfortunately, they have a bad habit of interrupting interviewees, showing poor courtesy.

Steve Peterson
10-13-2017, 11:47 AM

Stay away from USA Today if sports is at the bottom of your list. They used to include around 5-6 stories each of headlines, business, entertainment, and sports. Lately, the headline page has become 100% sports. The major story would be that a soccer game had to be canceled because of hurricane Irma. That was the closest that they would come to even mentioning anything related to actual news.

I am also looking for a better news app.

Dave Lehnert
10-14-2017, 10:41 PM
Stay away from USA Today if sports is at the bottom of your list. They used to include around 5-6 stories each of headlines, business, entertainment, and sports. Lately, the headline page has become 100% sports. The major story would be that a soccer game had to be canceled because of hurricane Irma. That was the closest that they would come to even mentioning anything related to actual news.

I am also looking for a better news app.

I also noticed that. I thought I had it setup wrong or something.

Art Mann
10-15-2017, 5:05 PM
I strongly disagree that NPR is unbiased.

Yonak Hawkins
10-16-2017, 8:26 AM
I strongly disagree that NPR is unbiased.

Really ? To me it seems, whenever they report on a political or controversial subject, they tend to draw interviewees and advocates equally from all sides. What examples to the contrary can you cite ?

Jerome Stanek
10-16-2017, 9:05 AM
Really ? To me it seems, whenever they report on a political or controversial subject, they tend to draw interviewees and advocates equally from all sides. What examples to the contrary can you cite ?

When they draw on these people they want them to be controversial and why would anyone want to subject themselves to this. If you listen real close you can see by the questions that they are leaning for one side.

Yonak Hawkins
10-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Jerome, I disagree that NPR is the type of news service that stirs up controversy for reasons, such as, to boost ratings as some do. They don't shy from controversial subjects but I'd like to see any example of where they didn't present all sides or favored one viewpoint over another or purposefully created or inflamed controversy.

Jerome Stanek
10-16-2017, 3:07 PM
Jerome, I disagree that NPR is the type of news service that stirs up controversy for reasons, such as, to boost ratings as some do. They don't shy from controversial subjects but I'd like to see any example of where they didn't present all sides or favored one viewpoint over another or purposefully created or inflamed controversy.

Believe what you want but they listeners pay the payroll and keep them on the air. If it is not interesting no one would listen and their ratings would drop along with sponsorship

Mel Fulks
10-16-2017, 3:46 PM
I like NPR but in the last several years I think they have gotten more trendy ,less serious in all subjects. That includes such new features as interviews with rap people....which means less music of all types. I generally like their news. The Garrison Keilor show was political but in a vaudiville ...if biased way. So the "humor" is tilted.

Malcolm McLeod
10-16-2017, 3:51 PM

NPR just uses a bit more subtlety than most. Listen to the questions - - I often hear their interviewers ask, "Shouldn't (insert someone) (insert verb) (insert something)?" (Clearly implying, only a (insert expletive) would disagree.) If unbiased, I believe they'd use "should". YMMV

I think our downfall is listening to news sources that we like - - and generally agree with the spin - - and so don't really 'see' the spin. Since news is nearly all revenue driven, any news source starts tailoring its content to enhance ratings (even NPR needs donors.) If at least 1 of my news sources doesn't actually make me angry, I'm probably not getting enough news to formulate my own opinion - - accurately, I hope.

So channel-surf - in papers, on TV, the web, and your phone apps!

Matt Day
10-16-2017, 4:41 PM
I don’t see how interviewing “rap people” makes them less serious. They also interview rock, country, and opera. Do opera interviews make them more serious?

Yonak Hawkins
10-16-2017, 9:30 PM
Jerome, your response leads me to believe that you may not really be familiar with their format. Only a small percentage of their programming concerns stories of a controversial nature. They're known for in-depth stories about current or historical events and issues, scientific discoveries, events and books, culture and social topics, the arts, personalities, cultural entertainment, etc. The reason people listen is for these well-researched stories that they can't hear anywhere else, not just for controversial, hot-button issues so, NPR has no reason to pump up the controversy for ratings. I recommend that you check out npr.org to see their latest list of stories.

James Pallas
10-17-2017, 3:48 PM
Dave, I believe it may not be proper to use "good" and "news app" in the same sentence.:)
Jim

Jim Becker
10-17-2017, 7:10 PM
You can also use a news/article consolidation app like FlipBoard (or Apple's News app native to iOS for folks with iPhones) to target news types you're interested in from multiple sources. It's often very useful to get news and articles from multiple sources for many reasons.

julian abram
10-17-2017, 10:29 PM
Fox News is my most used app, check it several times a day. Has a cross section of national and world news in addition to a lot of politics. All News groups have their bias regardless of their claims of objectivity, just choose your poison.

Jerome Stanek
10-18-2017, 6:56 AM
The best news app is the daily weather report

Mike Trent
10-20-2017, 2:45 PM

Consider using Twitter as your news source.

Here’s what works for me: I “follow” my hometown newspaper for local news and sports. For global news, it’s the BBC. I also follow local police and fire departments, plus my county, to keep up with what’s going on in and around town. There are also many woodworking folks to follow.

My son is away at college in Florida, and I follow his college, plus the surrounding police, fire and newspapers. I often know what’s going on near him before he does.

I have family in Houston, Austin and San Antonio. During the recent hurricanes, I was able to read about conditions on the ground.

Twitter has become my news source. I no longer have to visit ten or more web sites per day, or install a bunch of apps; all the news that I want is in one place.

Dave Lehnert
10-20-2017, 4:44 PM
Consider using Twitter as your news source.

Here’s what works for me: I “follow” my hometown newspaper for local news and sports. For global news, it’s the BBC. I also follow local police and fire departments, plus my county, to keep up with what’s going on in and around town. There are also many woodworking folks to follow.

My son is away at college in Florida, and I follow his college, plus the surrounding police, fire and newspapers. I often know what’s going on near him before he does.

I have family in Houston, Austin and San Antonio. During the recent hurricanes, I was able to read about conditions on the ground.

Twitter has become my news source. I no longer have to visit ten or more web sites per day, or install a bunch of apps; all the news that I want is in one place.

Good Idea. Ill look into it.

Matt Meiser
10-22-2017, 9:05 PM
The best news app is the daily weather report

Talk about your "fake news" LOL.

Jerome Stanek
10-23-2017, 9:31 AM
Talk about your "fake news" LOL.

I should have said my weather rope app