PDA

View Full Version : straingt TS fence

Larry Crim
11-02-2005, 9:42 AM
I recently changed the face of my TS fence and am always frustrated by haveing to use tape to shim the mating surface to get a straight fence so I got a idea to fix this problem, First I thought about getting it machined flat but didn't want to lose the material especially around the screw holes. So I used simple spackle and spread it all over the metel face and let it dry, while it was drying I used the jointer and put a straight edge on a dry 2x4 that was about 6 in longer than the fence. I then used a roll of stickback sandpaper and stuck it to the edge of the 2x4. After the spackle had dried I knocked down the obvious high areas with a block and sandpaper then used the 2x4 running it back and forth along the face till I got down to metel and all is left is spackle in the low areas, I attached the new face and checked it and was pleasantly surprised as how straingt it was and should be easiet next time and no shimming hassle. I am sure someone before me has figured a better way to so this but it worked for me.

Alan Turner
11-02-2005, 12:10 PM
My Unifence suffered from non-flatness. So, I screwed on a 4" wide piece of cherry (handy at the time), and simply jointed the cherry. This only works if the actual fence is removable, as is the Unifence.

Mike Vermeil
11-02-2005, 3:02 PM
My Unifence suffered from non-flatness. So, I screwed on a 4" wide piece of cherry (handy at the time), and simply jointed the cherry. This only owrks if the actual fence is removable, as is the Unifence.

My Unifence is way not flat also, and I'm tired of working around it. Did the extra weight of the cherry board make the fence cumbersome? I'm thinking about having my fence flattened at a local machine shop.

Alan Turner
11-02-2005, 3:06 PM
Mike - No, not really. A bit heavier, but no big deal, and you can safely bury the blade in the board if need be.

Jim Hinze
11-02-2005, 3:11 PM
You might want to consider visiting TTrack USA (http://www.ttrackusa.com/) and look at the UNI-T-Fence. I got one for my UNIFENCE and am quite happy with it. It's heavy extruded aluminum, has t-slots built in and a UHMW portion that can easily be flattened/shimmed.

I'm quite happy with mine, I only wish I had 50" rails now :mad:

Mike Vermeil
11-02-2005, 4:28 PM
Thanks Jim. I saw that fence quite a while ago, but had forgotten about it. If remachining my fence is anywhere near the cost of that replacement fence, I'll probably go that route. I've added T-track to my Unifence for feather boards, but I don't know of a good way to attach board buddies - something I'd like to use to help with accuracy.