PDA

View Full Version : ULS 350 Versalaser power loss - diagnostic help please?

Al Stewart
10-11-2017, 5:04 PM
My laser has lost almost all power. Can't cut 3/16" acrylic even at 100% power .5 % speed.

I have 48VDC on both power supplies.

Here's the WEIRD PART: In order to test the power supplies, the tube has to be installed and firing. So I set the tube on a chair with the beam shooting down and measured the PSs. The beam quickly marked the concrete floor and actually looks like it melted it some as there are little "glass" beads in the divot. I then placed a piece of wood on the floor and the beam quickly burned about 1/8" into the board. I moved the board around and the beam was about 1/8" wide and seemed to have plenty of power. Not very scientific, but I figured if it had that much power, it should be able to do the job when focused.

My lens and mirrors are clean and aligned. My air nozzle doesn't seem to be in the way because it does not get hot.

Your thoughts anyone? Is there anything else I should check before investing in a tube repair or exchange?

What is a good source for tube repair or exchange? I'm in Oregon, USA.
Thanks much in advance!

Al

Brian Lamb
10-11-2017, 7:07 PM
I just had issues with my X-600. Turns out my tube would start at 25W and over a period of a couple minutes dropped to less than 6 watts... it's a 50 watt tube, so no good. I have a local guy who bench tested it and found this out for me, then sent it out for repair to California... someone he deals with. It was more expensive than the $850 that the place on Ebay charges, and I probably should have used the ebay guy... but the price I paid included shipping both ways and he gave me a loaner tube for the three weeks or so that it took, so I wasn't dead in the water.

Now with it recharged, all my settings are way off, which means it was probably weak from the get go... I've had it for about a year and a half. Hopefully I'll be good for a few more years now.

Kev Williams
10-12-2017, 12:33 AM
Tried a different lens?

And remove that nozzle cone, best way to find out if the beam's hitting it is to remove it. (personally, I won't use the things)

Mirrors may be aligned but one could be bad for whatever reason. The mirror over the lens in my LS900 looks identical on the back side and can be reversed. I reversed it one day because it 'looked new' compared to the other side. I couldn't even engrave Rowmark with it. Also, when I eventually changed it to a 'yellow' mirror, my power picked up big time.

Maybe a loose wire or plug or something in the RF section of the laser got jostled back into 'working condition' after removing the tube? (I know all too much about screwy wires and connections)

Al Stewart
10-14-2017, 2:19 PM
At your suggestion, I removed the nozzle. I could see that the beam had been hitting it, at least in the past, but removing it didn't fix the tube...that would be too easy! Is there any down-side to running without the nozzle?

It is looking like a tube recharge is in order. It runs about 10 minutes with pretty good power and then drops to the "useless" setting.

Do you have a suggestion for a good place to get my ULS 40W tube refilled? Thanks for your help, Kev!

Al Stewart
10-14-2017, 2:23 PM
Thanks, Brian. Would you mind telling me where you sent your tube for recharge?
Al

Paul Phillips
10-14-2017, 2:35 PM
Hi Al, I highly recommend Evergreen Laser, they are very affordable. Here is a thread I posted about my experience a few years ago.
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?236383-Affordable-Laser-Repair!&highlight=evergreen

Kev Williams
10-14-2017, 2:52 PM
replies in bold blue :)

At your suggestion, I removed the nozzle. I could see that the beam had been hitting it, at least in the past, but removing it didn't fix the tube...that would be too easy! Is there any down-side to running without the nozzle?

3 of my 4 machines never had one, the 4th I removed by the second day, it was always in the way. If you want/need the air assist, it's not that hard to route a little air plumbing outside the laser tube. Used at very low pressure will keep the smoke from the lens so it stays cleaner longer.

It is looking like a tube recharge is in order. It runs about 10 minutes with pretty good power and then drops to the "useless" setting.

^ this ^ is the magic troubleshooting phrase :) (or rather :( ) -- this IS indicative of a bad tube...

Brian Lamb
10-14-2017, 4:07 PM
I used my local guy who sent it to California, not sure where, that's his closely guarded secret! I would use Evergreen, they are on ebay, and I had contacted them by email. My issue was with only the one machine, my local guy was able to let me use another ULS tube he had on hand as a loaner while mine was being re-charged. It cost me a couple hundred extra, but I made that back in work I would have lost without the tube for 3-4 weeks (what it took him, seems Evergreen will do it faster).

Al Stewart
10-14-2017, 6:28 PM
Paul, that is exactly what I was looking for! Your thread re. Evergreen has convinced me to go with Evergreen.

Thank you!

Al

Al Stewart
10-14-2017, 6:30 PM
As per Paul's thread below, Evergreen is the way to go. Thanks for your help, Brian.
Al

Paul Phillips
10-16-2017, 9:49 AM
Hi Al,
I would agree with Kev, this sounds exactly like what happened to my tube, fading power is a sure sign of a bad tube!
Phil is a stand up guy I'm sure he'll treat you right! Let us know how things go. Hopefully your experience is as good as mine.